Chapter 13 - Cookies

I woke up the next morning feeling very sad. Tomorrow was my grandpa's viewing and I was not looking forward to it. Every single second Harry is not by me to make me forget, I'm constantly thinking about my grandpa and how he's really actually gone.

I would've loved to say that I woke up smiling and happy remembering how it felt to have my bottom lip trapped between Harry 's, but this was real life and mine was no fairytale.

Instead of getting out of bed and getting ready for the day, I stayed under the covers and scrolled through my phone aimlessly wasting time. Because as soon as I get up, everything becomes more real. As soon as my feet touch the floor, I have to help prepare for the viewing and do everything that I didn't think I would have to do for another ten years.

All too soon though, I rolled out of bed and put on sweatpants and a t-shirt because getting ready was something I was simply not up for. I threw my hair up to an awful bun and walked across the hall to Danny's room.

I opened the door to find him doing the same thing I had been doing no less than five minutes ago: laying in bed on his phone. He looked up at me and gave me a small smile. It wasn't his real smile, he and I both knew that.

"Welcome home, Char."

"Thanks, Danny. How have you been?"

"Terrible. Everything about this sucks. Except that you came home. That's the only up side of this nightmare. I've missed you, sis."

"I've missed you too, but I only left about a week ago. I wasn't supposed to come home until mom's birthday."

"I know, but it's weird not having you in Maine. Like, you weren't even home when you were at college but knowing your in London is different."

"I know what you mean." I spoke quietly.

"Char?"

"What?"

"Can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"Who's the guy you brought?"

"Don't even start Danny. He's a friend. From London. My London friend. His name is Harry and he's really nice so please just give him a chance."

"I like him."

"You've already met him?"

"Yeah, he was in the kitchen this morning and we talked. He likes the Packers, though."

"Ugh, don't even get me started. It actually pains me to see him sport that God-awful green and yellow shit." We both laughed at that but Danny had more to say.

"He likes you, I think. He couldn't stop talking about you." I blushed profusely and we made our way downstairs, leaving that comment alone. I found my mom and Harry watching T.V.

My mom informed us that her and my dad are going to be out all day setting up the area where the viewing was going to be and making sure everything was set up correctly. Danny was going to my aunts to help take care of my grandma and help pick out papa's clothing. Mine and Harry 's job was to bake all kinds of desserts for the break room and for anybody who gets a little hungry. We were going to be there from 1-8 so food was a necessity. My mom had already purchased all the ingredients I could ever need so I didn't need to go to the store.

Harry was looking at me from across the room and his gaze was like fire. I didn't want to look at him, though. Yesterday's actions made their way through my brain and looking at Harry was not something I wanted to do right now. I didn't regret it. Not at all, in fact I want to kiss him again and again but looking at him would intensify the embarrassment and awkwardness.