9: Barbeque Dinner

Romeo

"Here Mrs Hayes," I placed the aprons by the side of the kitchen, "Juliet asked me to give these to you."

Mrs Hayes looked up at me and then at the aprons. "Oh," she said, looking quite surprised, "thank you, dear. Where's Juliet?"

"She said she needed to put something in her room," I replied. "I think she'll be down in a minute."

Mrs Hayes smiled. "You know, you're a very sweet boy," she glanced over to my mum.

Mum laughed, "Well, usually he's very quiet. Sometimes, I don't even hear his voice for a week. He can be too shy at times."

I didn't answer my mum. Instead, I looked away and headed for the backyard.

Both of our mothers laughed.

Just when I was about to pull the door open, I heard footsteps coming from the stairs. I ignored them and went out.

***

Juliet

I ran downstairs and gazed over to the kitchen. "There you are, Juliet," my mum said to me.

I smiled, "Did I take too long?"

"Quite a bit. But that's okay. Could you pass me the sausages?"

I gave her the tray of raw sausages and she placed a few more into the container.

"Do you think we can finish all of this?" I asked her.

Mrs Jones turned around holding the salad bowl. "Sure we can. If we, ladies, can't finish them, I'm sure that the gentlemen would."

I nodded. "True. Do you need me to help you with anything else, Mum?"

Mum glanced over to my direction, "Could you pass your father, Mr Jones and Romeo each an apron?"

"Um, sure thing."

Holding onto the three aprons, I walked over to the glass door and pulled it opened. Sliding it back to where it was, I found Mr Jones and Dad talking about fishing as they were cooking the meat on the barbeque. Ice Pack Stealer, on the other hand, was just sitting there by the tables, doing almost nothing. Actually, I take that back. He was doing nothing.

"How was school, sweetie?" I heard my dad talking to me.

"It was alright, I guess," I replied to him with a weak smile.

He chuckled, "It was alright?" He raised an eyebrow.

I nodded.

Mr Jones laughed, "Don't worry, Juliet." He paused, "us dads, always talk like this to our children." He laughed and glanced over to Ice Pack Stealer. "Isn't that right, Romeo?"

Ice Pack Stealer looked up and shrugged.

I smiled to myself, I didn't think that my parents and Ice Pack Stealer's parents were such good friends.

Gazing down at my hands, I suddenly remember about the aprons and gave one to Mr Jones.

"Thank you," he said.

Then turning around to my dad, he asked me to tie the string for him. I did as I was told.

Finally, it was Ice Pack Stealer's turn. "Here, put this on." I stretched my arm out with the apron.

He reached for it and glanced way. Then putting it over his head and trying to tie the string, he stopped when he saw me still standing there.

"What are you looking at?"