CHAPTER 08: Contention

Sarada had known many people in her life. And she knew how to read them too, considering how many types of the same people she had seen... when Boruto had first returned to the village, she had thought she would be able to read him easily too. But boy was she wrong, she had seen most of his acts as unpredictable and questionable, and from that, she decided to deduce that her Sharingan had its limits too... but it still didn't help with the fact that Boruto had been acting strange since they had left the village. She had caught him spacing out of their conversation several times already, and she wanted to know what bothered him so much that he couldn't even speak... and it wasn't like Boruto to overthink anything!

"we'll stop here, for now, Daiki, can you set the tent please?" Sarada asked him feeling guilty about her plan. It was already getting late as they had been running for hours now.

Daiki frowned at her, "why me? Ask Uzumaki or Mitsuki to do it!" he looked away from her and crossed his arms.

She sighed, calming her nerves, she had almost forgotten how easily the guy got on her nerves. "you're going to do it or not?" and Sarada could have sworn she had heard a gulp before Daiki pretended as if he had no other choice and pulled out the tent. She felt Boruto's gaze on her as she sneaked behind the concentrated Daiki, who was fitting the tent at several wrong joints, bless the guy, he still didn't know how to set a tent... she placed both her hands on either side of his shoulders and spun him around to face her.

"Whoa, what are you---" before he could complete his sentence, however, he had made the mistake of looking her straight in the eye, therefore falling into her Sharingun's sleep Genjutsu. She put him on a mat before turning to look at her surprised friends.

"I put him under a Genjutsu, he'll wake up when I lift it... so, lets clear things here and now Boruto," she said looking Boruto in the eyes, "I don't know what they said to you there, but I think you should tell it to us, it's only natural you don't trust Daiki enough, that's why I put him under a Genjutsu"

"look-"

"so, you don't want to tell us?" Mitsuki intervened looking curious.

"that's fine actually-" Sarada was quickly cut off by Boruto.

"I-they-they told me, it's top classified information that at this moment, even the other Kage don't know about dattebasa... I'll tell you guys alright!" he took a deep breath and began, "apparently, the guys I fought on my last mission were outer for Kara-"

"Kara? They must've had intel about Kawaki then!" Sarada placed a hand over her mouth looking concerned. She knew she ought not to have talked about Kawaki, Boruto's adopted brother in front of him after he had betrayed the village.

"I thought so too Sarada, I asked them about Kawaki, but they said they never saw a guy like what I described there, they saw Delta-the blonde dad beat up... and they mentioned an orange-haired dude-"

"I feel like you're slacking off the point" Mitsuki interrupted.

"right, where was I? ah yes, those guys were apparently outers for Kara, which means they're on the move again dattebasa... they said---" Boruto stopped to breath, "---apparently Kawaki got his Karma seal back, and the Kara are after him... which means they are after me too... I thought for a moment-" Sarada couldn't take it anymore, she quickly got up and pulled him into her embrace. Boruto and Kawaki had tried their level best to get rid of the Karma seals that burdened their fate, which Kawaki had succeeded in... and the thought of him getting it back after years of suffering and pain hurt her.

She pulled away and cupped his right side of the face in her hand. Looking him in the eye, she said "don't worry Boruto, whatever happens, we won't let anyone lay a hand on you, right Mitsuki?" she turned to look at her blue-haired friend who nodded along with her words, "we'll get rid of the Karma seal, bring Kawaki back, and-"