Part 10

It seems that I am seeing much more of that American-looking man. I soon find out that his name is Harry. He is 24, and is in fact from America. There seems to be something strange about him, but I can't quite place it.

They have hung out a couple times that I know about, I hope not more than that.

She invites me over for dinner at 7. I pick up a bottle of wine and make it there a bit early. She opens the door and all I see is her stunning beauty. She is wearing a beautiful navy dress and has her hair done up.

After a bit, she sits down and I pour her a glass of wine.

I tell her all about the band and our new record. We finished our new album and we are gearing up for our next American tour.

Somehow we get talking about John's new girl,  Cynthia, which reminds me of this Harry man.

"So, erm. I've noticed you spending time with this Harry man a lot more." I can tell that she notices the flicker of jealousy in my eye. For a moment she is silent.

"It's nothing. He is just a good friend."

"Oh? I see. It just seems that you have been much more distant lately...and.. I-I just worry."

"Sorry I want to have friends." This seems rather sharp and hostile.

"I never said you couldn't"

She is almost yelling now. "I want a friend that I can go out to dinner with and not be mobbed and mocked by savage teenage girls!"

I can't control myself, and so I yell. "YOU WHAT?"

"That's right! He took me to dinner! What are you going to do about it?"

I grab my coat and storm out the door. It's a rather chilly night in London. I walk and walk until I can't feel anything, then I walk into a bar. It's not until I get into the warm air that I realise I've been crying.

I sit down and order a big glass of scotch. I finish that and drown down another.

Soon I decide to head home. About halfway down the street I feel like I'm being followed. I start to run. I run and I run to the end of the block.  I run right across the street.

There's a bus.

I don't even see it coming.