Chapter 8

Chapter 8

A steady, cool breeze blew into the window were I was currently sitting at in the living room, soothing my nerves. The window gave a beautiful view of the sand and endless sea. I felt a sense of serenity wash over me as I watched the sea gulls effortlessly glide down towards the water. Living in a place like the city didn't really give me chances to visit the beach. I remember going to Coney Island with a group of friends once but it didn't compare to this. Santiago, my father, was a lucky man to have a beautiful home that overlooked the sea.

Of course he does. Just look at what he does for a living.

I know that after everything that had happened, the first thing that any sane human would do is to go home. But a part of me told me to stay and discover just what kind of man my father was. I had brothers, cousins, and other relatives that I never knew existed and I wanted to get to know them. I was tired of living in the same repetitive cycle in New York.

Sure I loved Chris. He's a wonderful father figure, I couldn't have asked for anything better. There was nothing in the world I could do to repay what he had done for me. But I had a chance that many other people could only wish to have and I didn't want to throw that away.

I turned my attention away from the window and towards the doctor that was currently speaking with Diego in Italian. It impressed me to learn that Diego was proficient in speaking four different languages. It was definitely something that I envied too, because I struggled to learn the spanish language. I had to teach myself through books and online videos.

After calling Chris and him not answering, Diego had call over their family doctor to come and give me a quick check over. The doctor was a very handsome man in his 50's. He told me not to worry about anything because he was good friends with my father and he owed him his life for the things my father had done for him. He also mentioned that he had stopped by late last night and had applied a temporary cast on my wrist to minimize any movement.

Dr.Agosti took on a serious tone as he began explaining my injuries to me. I have a fractured bone in my forearm and I would have to wear a cast for a couple of weeks. Depending on how the injury heals I wouldn't need surgery. He then tells me that I was lucky to have only fractured the fibula bone in my leg. I have to refrain from walking on my leg as much as possible and I have to take anti-inflammatory drugs as well as apply ice to my leg. A cast wasn't necessary for the fracture but if the pain got to unbearable he would have to give me crutches. As for the bruises on my face and body, they would clear up on their own after a few days.

As Diego and the doctor finish their conversation he turns to me and reaches out his hand for me to shake.

"I'm glad I got to meet you. Of course I would've loved to meet you under different circumstances", He says with a thick Italian accent. Letting go of my hand he chuckles and turns to leave. I quickly stand up, wincing at the sudden pain that runs down my leg.

"I have a question for you." I said a little breathlessly.

Turning to face me, he frowns. "Miss, I just told you to rest your leg. Please sit down." He signals me to sit down. Feeling like small child getting reprimanded I slowly sit down.

"I was wondering. Well you know about what my father does right? That doesn't make you want to, you know, run away? Well not exactly run away but maybe cut off all ties with him?"

A wide smile illuminates his face as he looks at me with knowing eyes. "No it doesn't. Call me crazy for saying this if you like, but Santiago isn't a bad man with his family and friends, only to those who cause his family harm. I know that you have your doubts; I can see it in your eyes. But I will tell you this: give him a chance. What he does for a living might paint him as a horrible man but he isn't. But I won't say anymore than that". With that he turns and leaves, his words swirling around in my brain.

After the doctor left I spend most of the afternoon getting to know Daniel, Toni, and Diego more. We asks each other the most obvious questions, what kind of books and movies we liked, what we were like when we were little kids. I'm shocked to learn that they are all equally involved with the same things as my father. It's a family thing Toni says, a family I was now a part of thanks to my curiosity.

They don't shy away from telling me these things. On the contrary, they speak about it with pride. I personally think it's because they know I won't go around screaming their secret to the world. I'm to much of a chicken shit to do that. We don't go in too deep into the conversation since I decide to be as ignorant to that life as much as I can. Which is saying a lot since I'm the kind of person who rejects the saying, "Ignorance is bliss".

I know that I will have to face it at one point, but after what happened last night I want to avoid it as much as I can. 'One thing at a time' I tell myself.

As the afternoon stretches on I learn that Diego and Daniel are two years older than me, Toni is three years older.

It's funny in a way, how I never knew just how big of a family I have in this world. A bitter feeling makes its way into my chest at the thought that my mother kept this from me.

I look out the window again, the calming view is a stark contrast to how I'm feeling. The sun was setting, creating a beautiful color against the sky. The sea breeze comes in through the window, gently caressing my face.

I hope that with time I'm able to feel some kind of calm and piece in my life.

* * * * * *

Santiago's POV

Walking around my office I can't help but think about the events of today. It had been a hectic morning; one that I didn't imagine would ever happen. Meeting my daughter the way we met was something that seemed like a dream, a bad dream. Seeing the way her face had been beaten up by one of men, sent anger through my veins. I had envisioned meeting her differently.

I had spent years looking for her, only to come up short every time. I searched everywhere for her mother, in hopes of finding my daughter and bringing her home. But I never understood how it was so difficult to locate Andrea. It was as if she had disappeared off the face of the earth.

After speaking with Clarissa something she said today finally made me realize what and how Andrea possibly got away with what she did.

She called her stepfather, Chris. Could he be that Chris from so long ago?

His name sounded familiar. There were two instances where I recognized that name from. 7 years ago, a Christopher McCoy tried to lock me away for the life I lived. He failed of course. He never found enough evidence to accuse me.

However, His hatred for me goes deeper than his duty to wipe all criminals from the face of the earth and serve justice. I remember when we were younger, Christopher, if he really is the same person, was a student studying to be a lawyer in Spain. He was head over heels for Andrea but I never paid much attention to him. She was head over heels in love with me so it wasn't like I ever had to worry about him. He hated me there was no doubt about that. He was constantly trying to convince Andrea to stop running after me but she never listened. Eventually he stopped trying to win her over and left once he finished his year in Spain and I forgot he even existed.

I never once thought that I would have to deal or even hear about him again, even after my trial with him a couple of years ago. Hell, I never once thought that he might be the one behind all of this. Never once did it cross my mind. But hearing the fact that he was Clarissa's step father made me realize why it was so easy for Andrea to disappear and make it hard for me to find her. He had connections. He was good friends with a lot of international officials.

If my assumptions are correct the bastard and Andrea had some guts pulling a stunt like that on me. There were too many coincidences, not for a second did I believe that he didn't know Clarissa was my daughter. He probably felt satisfaction knowing that he was playing the part that should've been mine.

Someone was going to have to pay.

__________________________________________________________________________

Now for the important question: do any of you watch kdramas? Listen to kpop?

Edited 10/11/2021