Chapter 27

*Not edited or revised*

I hope everyone has a happy New Year!

___________________________________

"I don't have time for games Clarissa. I need to know what the hell happened."

I've always a horrible liar. As a matter of fact, I hated lying.  I was always someone who told the truth, even if the truth meant I would get in trouble.

But things are different now. There are people who I feel the need to lie for this time around.

"And I don't really feel like arguing back and forth about something so meaningless."

Chris shoots me an incredulous look. "Meaningless? You think that," He points at the cast on my leg, "is meaningless? Were your brain cells knocked out of you? Has being around that criminal really made you this dense?"

"He's not a criminal."

Liar.

He throws his hands up in the air. "You leave for what, a month, and suddenly you're lying to me and defending one of the biggest criminals in Europe. What happened to that brilliant young lady who had a strong future ahead of her?"

And just like that I feel my patience snap. "You mean the way you, of all people, lied to me."

My statement seems to distort his thoughts for a second. "When I have I ever lied to you?" He argues back.

"You knew where my father was all of these years. Didn't you? Every year you told me that his case was out of your reach and there was hardly anything you could do to find him." Tears threaten to fall. "They knew who you were." I choke out.

Chris points a finger at me. "I told you another lawyer I'm working with helped me gather information."

"Why would they? What can they gain from helping you. Unless-" I have to pause and swallow back some anger. "Unless you're using me. You thought that by sending me there I would come back and tell you about any sketchy crap I saw."

"You're jumping to conclusions." He responds while passing around the office.

"Am I? I mean why the hell would you send me over there in the first place? If he is such a dangerous man, a damn criminal, why would you send someone who you supposedly love like your own child right into the lions den? Or am I really just some pawn to you?"

His fist slams against the top of his desk. "What kind of shit were they feeding to you over there. They're trying to turn your loyalty towards me and the law away."

"Loyalty?" I ask dumbfounded.

"And you've filled your head with some fantasy script about a happy reunion with some long lost father. Bring yourself back to reality Clarissa. This is the real world."

A knock at the door interrupts me before I can respond. His secretary walks in and notifies him that one of his clients had arrived.

"I'm leaving." I turn and make my way towards the door as fast as I can.

"Clarissa, we're not done talking."

"No, we're not. But it was obviously a bad idea to come here today." And with that I make my way out of his office, and then out of the building.

I wave for a taxi while trying to keep my emotions in control. So many things have happened in just a few weeks that my mind isn't able to focus on just one thing.

"Where to mam?" The taxi driver asks as he makes his way into the busy Manhattan traffic.

I don't answer him because I'm not sure where I wanted to go.