Chapter 6

Dedicated to EvaBasilala for the being the first ever to comment on my story.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 6

As Santiago pulls me into a hug I'm not sure what to do. Do I hug him back? Would that be weird? Isn't this moving a little to fast?

While I'm having an internal struggle with myself, Santiago pulls away and holds me at arm's length. A frown graces his face. Was he able to tell that I was actually scared shitless and was only putting up a brave act?

"Tell me-" He stops talking as he looks me over. He looks me over a second and third time. Each time his face grows darker with anger. "What the hell happened to your face?"

Before I could answer he turns to Diego.

"What the hell happened to her?

"Rodriguez caught her on the property and thought Alexander sent her over to get inside information." He says in bored tone.

A few Spanish curse words leave Santiago's mouth as he looks back at me. "I'll deal with him later. How are you feeling?"

I send him a weak and wary smile. "Nothing feels better than getting punched on the face. And hurting my wrist. Look I'm sorry for trespassing on your property, not that I will ever think about trespassing anywhere else again, but I came here to-"

I pause and think about what I'm going to say next. I have to choose my words carefully. I have to think of what consequences my words could have. This is a delicate subject. Or at least to me it is.

But how else do you go about this subject? They obviously know who my mom is, and Diego already said that I could potentially be his sibling. And with the way Santiago just reacted I could sort of tell that we are all on the same page.

"She's your daughter." Diego says at the same time that I say, "I think you might be my father."

I glare at Diego but he just shrugs in response. Suddenly I know what Chris feels like whenever I answer him that way, annoyed.

Looking back at Santiago I clear my throat and I try to keep my voice steady.

"What I'm trying to say is that I believe you're, well, my father. Well at least from what my mother has told me and what my stepdad could gather. And I mean your reaction to seeing me." I wave my hand in the air. "I know this sounds ridiculous, saying it out loud sounds ridiculous to me. I'm not even sure why I didn't just send an e-mail or just try to call you."

I end up saying the last part to myself. I realize how ridiculously stupid and idiotic my actions probably look to these people. What the hell was I thinking jumping on a plane and coming to some country I knew nothing about?

Santiago starts laughing at my words and I'm left feeling like an even bigger idiot.

"Normally, if someone would randomly come to my house and claim to be my daughter I would easily tell them to fuck off. But I mean, look at you! You look just like Andrea! The coincidence is just unreal. Sit down. Let's talk about this." He says as he takes a seat on the couch.

"Wait. You believe me? You're not going to ask for a paternity test? You're just going to believe me?" I ask dumbfounded as I slip down next to Diego again. I can't believe what I'm hearing.

"Call it weird but I could recognize my blood anywhere. I could also recognize her from a mile away. And believe me when I say that you look exactly like Andrea. That's how I know that you are the child I have spent the last 18 years searching for. But if you want a paternity test done I can make it happen right now".

His voice becomes soft as he says those words.

"Any other man would've freaked out if some 18 year old showed up at his house claiming to be his kid. Though I'm sure that 18 year old wouldn't have been assaulted like I was." I try to run a hand through my tangled hair. "He would've asked for proof and for a DNA test to be done yet you're telling me that you believe me by what I'm telling you because I look like your ex? And you're asking me if I want a DNA test done?"

"Like I told you not even a minute ago, yes I do. If you want some test done to calm you down we can have it done but I'm not the one who showed up out of nowhere claiming to be someone's long lost child. Why are you even questioning me? Any other person would be happy to have said man admit that he is the father."

I shut myself up as I realize that he was right. I came here looking for my father hoping that he would believe me when I told him that I was his daughter. And now that I found him, I let him know why I was here and he believes me, only for me to call him out because he does believes me. Maybe it was the punches that Rodriquez, as Diego called him, gave me that was fucking up my mind. Or maybe my mother dropped me as a child which would explain the stupid decisions I have been making so far.

"I'll get one of the maids to get us some drinks. Tenemos mucho de que hablar." Santiago says as he nods at Diego.

"What?" Diego asks.

"Go ask one of the maids to get us some drinks." Santiago states like it's the most obvious thing in the world.

Diego, who was quietly sitting down the whole time slowly pushes himself off of the couch and walks out of the room, only to come back a few minutes later grumbling to himself.

"That bastard fucked her up pretty bad. But like you said, we'll deal with him later." Diego tells Santiago in response to Santiago's dark questioning look as he watches me.

As we settle down once again, with drinks this time, I can't help but think about how crazy everything has gotten in just 24 hours. To be honest all I wanted to do was jump on a plane, go back to New York and lock myself in my room for a couple of months.

"Ask me anything. I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my abilities."

"There is so much I want, no I need to know. Like, I just found out I have a brother. What's the history between you and my mom? Did you purposely leave us alone? You say you've been searching for me for 18 years but what exactly happened?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited 10/11/2021