let's call it a concert

The room buzzes with low chatter and the distant hum of the music. Jazz really is beautiful, when you can hear it. The stage looks gorgeous but it's been empty for too long. Will this ever start?

The chatter gets louder smothering the tune I can barely make-out. So many people barely interested in each other's lives but inquiring about them anyway. Humans are so deviously selfish we only speak to others to speak about ourselves. We must all be decendents of Narcissus.

I wait in quiet, leaking patience as the show delays even further. I wish I was home. The previous days' events have rattled me and this lovey dovey fest only sickens me more. Love... gross. I doubt we even know what love is... I guess if we really did there'd be no such thing as divorce or break ups. There'd also be no such thing as boyfriend-girlfriend relations either. We'd all just find our mate at some stage and spend eternity with them, that's if we found them. Was that the original design? Was there an original design. This noisy silence is making me think too deep for my own good. If I delve too deep in my thoughts now then who knows if I'll get back.

Now, this noise. How do I describe it?... it's the type of noise without meaning. The type of noise where everyone is talking but you can't hear anything. Suddenly the noiseless noise is replaced by applause of recognition as people walk on stage.

I barely, scratch that, I can't understand a word he says but join my peers in listening. He ensnares our attention with his booming voice. I am relieved when the first song is one in english and not afrikaans. With all the rest but a few, I am not so lucky. I am pleasently surprised to hear a song from a movie that I've loved for most of my life; Narnia. It struck me odd that an afrikaans band would choose a Micheal Jackson song for the prebreal song and Billy Jean of all of ém. I enjoyed it though.

The break was one I spent in solitude in my seat to digest all I'd just been through. I take back my earlier statement, I deffinately won't be going anywhere soon.

I enjoy this, this solitude. No distractions... but is that a good thing? The hall is barely occupied for the few souls with no demons to feed, be it hunger, thirst, a cigar or anything else one indulges in. We sit here breathing and talking. Not all of us speak though. The buzz is less and the Jazz is clear. I can dissern words in conversations where-as before O'd just heard the blurred rumble of hamanity and how it filled the room. Noise. Noise is what filled the room. It fills the Earth. The places one cannot hear that noise are few and far between. I don't think I've ever found one in my entire lifetime. Even my mind is filled with noise.

We call it music but in reality it is just co-ordinated noise. Though not all of it; some of the recent nonsense is just plain noise. I'd witnessed this the previous night. The "valentines social" nothing valentiney nor social about it. We sat with everyone we knew amd spoke about things that we always speak of, what a shocker. But then you had those moments of fun. Those pure, amazing moments that are put there by fate to create a lifetime of memories. It made the entire night worth it, even with all my inner turmoil.

But that is another story.