We Have Seen Better Days

Our last rehearsal started with a full run of the show

Our last rehearsal started with a full run of the show. We'd all gotten out of school at noon with special permission from the principal. Anton wanted to see everything, and afterward, he and Jamie called us all to sit on the edge of the stage to give notes after we got out of costume. Everyone wanted to get out of rehearsal early so we could make the school spirit bonfire tonight.

The bonfire was at eight, and it was five now. So far, we have been doing pretty well on time. Although Carson claimed he had to be early to help the band set up, it didn't worry me.

Hanging my costumes backstage, I pulled my normal clothes from the cute costume bags that Jamie had made. They had pouches and pockets for our street clothes and accessories for the play.

At the beginning of rehearsal, she'd given us a stern lecture about ensuring we didn't have any accessories the audience could see that might take them out of the play. No phones in pockets, no watches, bracelets, earrings, rings, etc. She'd called Samantha out for hot pink socks in her slippers under her dress. 

Then, she and Anton showed us the finer points of stage makeup. The lesson had mainly been for the boys since Carson had applied so much blush at our last rehearsal that it made him look more like a modern clown than a harlequin.

I snapped my watch around my wrist and combed through my short hair. My clothes were a little wrinkled, but overall better than expected.

Shayna was in the makeup room, reapplying foundation. Several discarded makeup wipes had already taken off her heavy stage makeup and lay next to her small makeup bag.

"It feels like it takes longer to get out of full costume than do the entire show sometimes," she said. "But we have the bonfire to look forward to tonight. After we perform at the festival tomorrow, we'll never have to deal with this pasty makeup and these stupid wigs again."

"At least we aren't in something like The Lion King or Cats," I said. "But the wig caps are a million times worse than the makeup. That Jaques wig and cap always give me a major headache."

"If Anton organized another play, would you do it?" Shayna asked.

"I'd audition," I said. "Might be kind of fun, depending on what it was. I wouldn't want to be Juliet or anything."

I'd always thought Romeo and Juliet was kind of pointless. It was overdone, and it didn't feel real. Maybe that was because I'd never fallen in love.

Using a microfiber cloth, I took off my makeup since makeup wipes tended to make my eyes sting. I had a nasty allergic reaction to the stage makeup here yesterday. It looked like I had a sunburn this morning.

Jamie was sympathetic when I told her. She said she had a friend who was equally as sensitive-skinned. She suggested I bring my normal foundation and makeup. I'd just have to be a little more heavy-handed in the application, and no one would know the difference.