Masters of Their Fates

Brunch was apparently a staple of Novah's life, and I was required to attend on our day off from school

Brunch was apparently a staple of Novah's life, and I was required to attend on our day off from school. She and Jules picked me up, and I was surprised Jules was wearing a tuxedo, and Novah wore a dark purple dress and a cute little hat with lace.

Jules's older sister, a senior named Dottie, sat in the passenger seat, so maybe that had something to do with the sudden wardrobe change. I'd only met Dottie once or twice, but I knew she and Novah had been dating for a year. She had fiery red hair and wore a cute little gingham sundress.

Climbing in beside Tasha in the back seat, I found Jules, Novah, and Dottie weren't the only ones dressed up. Tasha's glossy hair was braided in a plait down the back, and she wore a long red blouse with a flowing black skirt. Her feet were tucked into sparkly silver pumps compared to my Converse, which were still splattered with green paint from the flying football fiasco.

"So... brunch is more of a formal thing..." I said, hoping I'd at least find a tube of lip gloss at the bottom of my purse. Alas, no such luck. I was stuck in ripped jeans and my Star Wars T-shirt with the cartoon of a fallen AT-AT.

I'd assumed we were grabbing a bite to eat and going straight to rehearsal. Jules even wore gloves, though they were black fishnet and fingerless.

Jules laughed. "Brunch is as fancy as we desire. We have an hour and a half before rehearsal starts. It's a miracle Tasha's mom even let her out of the house."

"She thinks it's a study group, and I can do it since I'm not contagious anymore," Tasha said. "But I'd never pass up on brunch with my girls."

"Let's get this party started," Dottie smiled. 

Jules drove us to a cute hole-in-the-wall bakery I'd never been to called Sweetie Mimi's Donuts and Creamery. The place wasn't too busy. An older woman was filling donut orders. Jules went up to the counter and ordered a bunch of things while Dottie took us to a reserved table.

When Jules joined us, they carried a plate of donuts, a plate of toast strips, and cute jams and jellies in little tins painted in cow print. Dottie seized the donut plate and promptly began pulling a vegan glazed donut apart.

"Mimi's Donuts are the best," Tasha said. "I wish my mother let me come more often."

"The mini quiches and frittatas will take her a bit to whip up since she doesn't make those in advance," Jules said. 

"I just wish they'd sell ice cream before eleven," Novah said. "So we'll have to settle for brunch instead."

"Sad," Dottie said. "But three cheers for Mimi."

Jules got fresh coffee for each of us at the counter, and I buttered a strip of toast. I'd never eaten a fancy brunch at a restaurant. It was pretty relaxing until the door to the restaurant flew open, and a familiar voice made me want to curl under the table and hide.