Happiness Through Another Man's Eyes

**** Content Warning: Jack will be discussing his trauma with a therapist****

My new therapist's office was bright, and someone had lined up Lego mini-figures on a shelf. Seeing Batman, Dobby the house-elf, a mermaid, Indiana Jones, and Medusa staring at me in Lego form was not helping my nerves.

A few colorful fish swam around a tank on the table in front of me. The couch I sat on was somewhat comfortable despite every bone in my body telling me to run from this place.

Anton insisted I come to counseling. He'd driven me here and was waiting in the lobby. My skin was itching, and I'd only been sitting in the therapist's office for two minutes.

The door opened. A short woman smiled at me. Her chestnut hair was in a severe bun that had several pencils and chopsticks going through it. She wore a bright yellow shirt and a dotted skirt.

"My name is Ellie," she said as she sat in the chair across from me. "And you're Jack, right?"

"Yes," I said. "I suppose you read about why I'm here in the news."

It felt like everyone seemed to know. Reporters wanted a scoop. Lawyers called to see if we wanted advice. Carson's parents had brought over enough casseroles to last Anton a week.

"I saw some, but I'd like to hear your perspective," Ellie said. "Tell me about yourself."

"I play football," I said. "I've been in a play at school. I'm popular enough that everyone has an opinion about my life. My social media has been blowing up, but I haven't looked at it."

"So, your father is going to trial," Ellie said. "That must be hard for you."

"I suppose," I said. "His anger tended to get the better of him."

Watching the fish swim around in the tank in front of me seemed easier than looking her in the eye. A blue fish swam around the bottom of the tank while a golden one with a long tail swam near the top of the tank, looking for a meal.

Ellie frowned a little bit. "Have you talked to anyone about this? Friends? Significant other? I know your uncle brought you here today."

"Not much," I said. "One of my classmates really helped me. Her mother is a doctor, and she stayed with my sisters at the hospital."

"Were you able to talk to her?" Ellie asked.

"Some," I said. "Since she was at the hospital, she knows more than most about the situation. I've always liked her and feel guilty about dragging her into this."

Shayna and I were texting. I guessed she got my number from the group chat or from one of the other play members. She'd never ever texted me before.

"Is she your girlfriend?" Ellie asked.