🌞Chapter 42🌻

🌞🌻

The door opened. It was Mew, in full formal dress.

Tension sprang up in the room the instant he entered. The presence of a king changed the entire atmosphere. Gulf's breath caught at the unexpected sight of Mew and he felt as if his knees might give out.

Mew wore a translucent blue jewel on the breast of his white thwab. Rose designs in gold thread were embroidered at his cuffs, and a short sword studded with 99 diamonds and large jade stones were hanging at his hip. A magnificently jeweled chain decorated his keffiyeh.

He walked into the room so majestically. Accompanied by his guards, that he looked like a king straight out of the movies.

He was so beautiful, so overflowing with grace that Gulf gasped.

"I couldn't wait any longer," Mew said. "I had to see you. You look wonderful. Even the roses of Madina would wilt beside my bride."

Gulf felt dizzy. He wasn't quite sure if it was because Mew was standing before him or because his crime was weighing so heavily in his mind. His heart was racing and his entire body shook straight down to his fingertips.

AA caught Gulf's arms as he staggered.

Mew strode up to them and pulled Gulf away from AA.

"You will not be so forward with my bride," he growled.

Mew stared AA down. AA removed his hands from Gulf and held them up in surrender.

Gulf panicked. Mew's arm was wrapped around his shoulders. He could barely breathe. Mew believed that he was Yaya. This knowledge made it even more difficult for him.

"Come." Mew's eyes fell on Gulf.
Gulf couldn't return the look he received from Mew's eyes. He lowered his eyelashes as Mew placed a kiss on his trembling palm.

Only now did he realize what taking Yaya's place would involve. He would have to watch from the closest possible vantage as Mew declared his love for Yaya and took her as his bride.

And once everything was revealed, Mew would harshly grill Gulf. Gulf would have to try to resign himself to whatever blame he received. If Mew asked him why no one had consulted him about this little farce, he wouldn't have an answer.

He could say it was for Yaya---but no. He knew Mew would be furious with having to humiliate himself. But even so, he wanted to confess the entire plan.

He was trying to approach the problem logically, but he feared the other man's anger more than anything else. If Mew ever hated him...he went crazy just thinking about it.

Gulf turned to face Mew again, ready to tell him everything.

"Mew---"

But Mew himself stopped him.

"My bride," Mew smiled at him vibrantly, alive with desire. "Everything will end today, and begin anew. Trust yourself to me."

A pain shot through Gulf's heart at the sweet words whispered into his ear. Everything would indeed end for him today, but there would be no new beginning.

"Let's go."

Mew pressed his hand against Gulf's back, still unaware that anything was amiss. Gulf took a trembling step forward. There was nothing else to be done.

Before they left the room. Mew addressed AA without turning around.

"You should watch the ceremony. You might get a little bored, but you are not to leave before it's over."

"Is that the king's order?" AA tossed back belligerently.

"Yes," Mew said flatly.

AA fell silent and they left the room.

They were surrounded by guards on either side. Gulf could only follow where Mew led.

Mew stopped in front of the room prepared for the bride. "We must part briefly, but...we'll be together again soon."

Mew looked at Gulf with a radiant expression. He was in raptures for his wedding day. Gulf, on the other hand, thought his heart would shatter.

There was still some time before the ceremony, but he would have nothing to do until then but pass the time being tortured by his regrets.

"See after my bride," Mew directed Leila, who was standing off to one side. Leila seemed slightly troubled and gave an uneasy bow.

At that moment, completely unconscious of the eyes of his own guards or those stationed outside the bride's room. Mew gazed passionately at Gulf---no, to him, this was Yaya---and bent closed to him.

"When you take off your bridal clothes, I pray that you'll be smiling," Mew whispered.

Gulf bit his lips. If he didn't, he would reveal that he was not Yaya.

There was no going back now. All he could do was play the role of the bride to the best of his abilities. And at the same time, he would carve every detail of Mew into his memory to last forever.

He would never be able to forget Mew anyway, so he wanted to remember just a little bit more. That way he would have more than just painful nemories of his deep love and this momemt together.

TBC