Chapter 4

Junkyu isn't the type to forget people who have always been there for him over someone new. Even though, his attention seems to get to the new person more, in his heart, he set his priorities right. The inclusion of Mashiho in their little squad wasn't his idea at first, however, he found it interesting after Jihoon actually did. He knows he can trust Mashiho just the same as Jihoon even though he has only known Mashiho for a few weeks.

Who wouldn't love Mashiho though? He's the embodiment of cuteness, innocence and purity. The first time Junkyu met him was in class, when Jihoon pointed him out as the cutest person on earth to ever exist. Obviously Junkyu didn’t like it, as he himself was set for that position to Jihoon until then. With a heavy heart and pouty lips, Junkyu along with Jihoon approached Mashiho after that to verify Jihoon’s statement and Junkyu agreed instantly. Talking to Mashiho seemed fun and so the duo came to talk to him often. But that didn’t give Junkyu the opportunity to know if he could trust Mashiho or not, so once, he went to talk to him alone, in one of those rare hours that he wasn’t with Jihoon. He talked a lot with him that day. About what he likes, what he doesn’t, about what makes him happy and what makes him sad, about how important Jihoon, Jeongwoo and Junghwan was to him, how admirable Mashiho’s coming to Korea alone was and many more. That very day, the two formed an unexplainable bond between them that not even Jihoon knew existed, or at least that’s what Junkyu thought. Junkyu was glad to know Mashiho and wanted to talk to him more and more, as if to say things to him that he already had told Jihoon. Mashiho’s presence in his life isn’t to replace Jihoon, but is another scope for the talkative boy to spill all the words he already had to his squad. That’s probably why Junkyu started giving more attention to Mashiho.

Jihoon didn’t know Junkyu thought this way. So when he came back to class with two cans of soda in his hand the first time Junkyu went to talk to Mashiho alone, he felt a pang in his chest. No it wasn’t because the two were talking without him, it was because of the look in Junkyu’s eyes. The spark that he used to have only for Jihoon, was visible that time too, the difference was, it wasn’t only for Jihoon anymore. Without interrupting their little talks, he went away. Seeing Junkyu like that hurt him, he didn’t know why, but it did. The untold pain only grew when after that day, Junkyu seemed to pay more attention to the cute Japanese guy. Even when Jihoon was just there, waiting for Junkyu to speak the words he already knew to him once more, Junkyu ignored him. The chemistry between Junkyu and Mashiho was getting better each day and Jihoon was dying a little more with it each day. Why did he feel that way? Is it because of the jealousy of a best friend? Yeah, that must be it, Jihoon thought.

For the upcoming days, the friendship between Jihoon and Mashiho only worsened. Both of them could feel it, as Jihoon took less glances at him, barely talked to him unless needed and avoided running into him outside of the class. Jihoon didn’t want things to go on like this. He genuinely liked Mashiho. He knew Mashiho did nothing wrong, neither did Junkyu. But he felt like he was being mistreated. And he came to the conclusion that avoiding them when they were busy in their own world would probably hurt less. But he could not avoid them that much, since all three of them were in the same class and unfortunately, he himself had invited Mashiho to join his squad.

As if, Jihoon’s struggles were less than necessary, because in his time of despair, he had to lose an important document and that very document just had to be inside Mashiho’s bag as they were together during lunch break. Jihoon was worried as he couldn’t find what he needed for the next day, but after receiving Mashiho's text about where the document was, Jihoon felt worse. That meant, he had to go to Mashiho’s house to fetch the document, or in other words, more interactions with him.

Jihoon was thinking whether to go face Mashiho or to let his grades fall this once. The document was nothing but the half-done long assignment that was meant to be submitted the next day; if delayed, his grades would fall. He was literally standing at the door, debating about his next move, when his younger brother showed up.

“Hyung, what are you doing here?” Jeongwoo asked as he was taking off his shoes.

“Forget it! I'll just go take a rest.” Jihoon said after leaving the door to head inside.

“Do you need something?” Jeongwoo asked, confused at his usually cheerful brother’s unusual behavior.

“I think I do. But that can wait. I'll just ask Mashiho to bring it to school tomorrow and finish as much as I can of it... But I know I won't be able to make it...” Jihoon was just talking to himself by then.

Jeongwoo paused for a moment. Something his hyung needed from Mashiho hyung. He may need it today, but he's not willing to go, maybe because he's tired. At times like this, Jeongwoo should forget it and just mind his own business, but something sparked inside him. Going to Mashiho hyung’s home can only mean one thing to him.

A certain tall boy can be met with.

So, Jeongwoo did what he never willfully did for Jihoon before, “Hyung, I'll bring it for you!”

Jihoon was way too relieved to notice the unusual gleam in Jeongwoo’s eyes.