Chapter Twelve

Six months had passed since Silas had rearranged his entire home to give Ebony her own place. Her life pretty much fell in the same routine as it had when she lived at her previous home, except this time she was more relaxed. There was no impending disaster of finding out who the men in her life were because she already knew. She still grieved about losing her family, but she wasn't ignoring it anymore. Silas still wouldn't let her leave the town even to visit her family's graves. Instead, he had several beautiful tombstones made in her garden for her to place flowers by. It didn't matter that their bodies wasn't there, their bodies would disappear sooner or later with time, Ebony just needed something to honor them with and the tombstones were perfect.

Silas seemed to have calmed down over the past six months. As long as he or one of his men could watch her, he didn't seem to have a problem letting her go places, places that were inside the town that is. A happy Silas was a good thing. Her life with him almost felt "normal" despite him being an assassin. She had to smile at how he went out of his way to give her that normal life too. After an assignment, he never came straight home to her. He stopped by his place, took a very long shower, changed his clothes, and walked in her home as if he was any ordinary man coming home to enjoy his "wifey" after a long day of work. He teased her with the affectionate nick name, remembering a flirtatious conversation they had when they first met at the hospital.

Ebony had to laugh every time he tried to say it because it just sounded so awkward coming from his mouth. "I have a wifey." He would say grinning at her. She would respond. "Uh huh, I got you now, didn't I tell you not to mess with black girls? Once you go black..."

"You never go back..." Fabian would always finish the sentence for her with a wistful look on his face whenever he was around to hear their teasing, which of course caused Ebony to laugh and Silas to glare at him.

He was really missing his ex-girlfriend, all these years and the Frenchman still hadn't gotten over her.

"She is happy now?" Fabian asked Silas one morning.

Silas smiled. "Yes, I think she's happy. I haven't had any problems with her since I split the mansion."

"And how long do you think she will be happy?" Fabian asked.

"What do you mean?" Silas turned to look at him. They were standing outside in front of the mansion enjoying a cigarette.

"The house is a distraction for now. How long do you think she will be happy in this town? Do you mean to keep her here for years to come? Are we to guard her every move for the rest of our lives?"

Silas frowned at him. "If I say you will, you will do exactly that!"

"Silas...you should think ahead to the future. It will not be like this forever."

"Fabian why the hell are you trying to spoil my day? Why don't you take your melancholy mood and use it to write poetry to the group of women that admires you every day. A brooding Frenchman that writes poetry, they love that shit!"

Fabian rolled his eyes. "You people make fun of who I am too much."

Silas laughed. "If you haven't noticed we make fun of everyone here, sensitive Frenchman..."

"Brooding, Frenchman, sensitive Frenchman, so many labels, you Mediterranean mutt," Fabian joked in good humor.

Silas laughed. "I have to go do a job that's fairly close by. It shouldn't take me long, tell Ebony I will be home in time for dinner."

Fabian shook his head worriedly. Silas was becoming domesticated. It was dangerous for an assassin to become...happy...

Ebony glanced at her clock. It was eleven and dinner was cold. She hadn't heard from Silas at all. He would usually call and tell her he would be late or couldn't make it. She'd called him several times, but the phone only went to voicemail. She'd asked the guys if they had heard from him. They had told her no. Something wasn't right. She could feel it deep down. When she tried to go through the door that merged their homes, it was locked! It was never locked! She grabbed her spare key, the key used to get into their front door. She knew they'd probably forgotten they'd given her one since they used the other door so much and marched into the mansion. The first thing she saw was blood. Drops of blood that she followed up the stairs, straight to Silas's bedroom. She stood outside the door, shaking.... Silas angry voice could be heard inside. It seemed like his men were trying to calm him. Why was he so furious? Was it because he was hurt? How serious was it?