Chapter 7

Martha and the tea warmed every part of me. She cooked Cabonara for Gabe and I, singing along with Whitney Houston – I will always love you.

None of us dared to interrupt Martha.

My stomach grumbled in protest. Gabe looked at me with a funny smile and I rolled my eyes. Martha saw our interaction and she smiled, "How lovely,"

Gabe cleared his throat and asked, "Why are you doing this for us?"

"Why not?" Martha asked, serving the pasta in generous amount.

"We are no one to you,"

Martha raised her eyebrow and put down the two plates of delicious pasta in front of us, "Nobody deserve any of the things you poor kids had been through. Eat,"

We haven't had a proper meal ever since we got thrown out of Harry Waters place. I reached for the fork and ate as if someone will take it away from us.

Martha frowned and said, "Slowly kids! I still have more."

Gabe looked up, "Sorry."

I blushed and drank a sip of water, letting the pasta flow down to my empty stomach. Martha sighed, "How long have you guys not eaten a proper meal?"

"Two weeks ma'am," Gabe replied and stared at the table with a frown, "Two weeks ago, we had the same thing like this,"

Martha looked at us and went to her pot, putting more pasta on our plate, "Sometimes, we just have to learn from our mistakes. I will prepare some clothes for you guys. Finish it up while I do that okay?"

"Ma'am, you don't have to..." Before I could finish my sentence, Martha took my dirty hands, "If the two of you are going to work here for me, you have to be presentable and well-fed, of course well rested. Go on, eat."

She patted my hand and gave me a wide smile before disappearing behind the kitchen.

Gabe and I looked at each other with our dirty faces. Martha saved us. Ever since my parents died, all the shits we went through made me stop believing in people. But now, Martha was the one that make me believe there is still humanity in this world.

xx

I need more time and I need help.

That's why I have to meet Gabe today. I have to make sure Elliot will be in the meeting when I'm gone and be back before his meeting ends. Elliot knows I'll be meeting Gabe today; he kept persuading me not to since Gabe wasn't happy about the collection.

Gruff was standing by the lift, looking at me with a slight smile, "Going somewhere, Danielle?"

I sighed, "How the hell did you know?"

"You got jumpy when Elliot asked you if you are still going to meet Mr. Atwell," Gruff smiled and tapped on the lift, "Let's go,"

I shook my head, "No, Gruff. Stay here. If I can't get back in time before his meeting ends, he will get pissed. I will be fine with Gabe. I'm meeting him at Sally's so if I'm not back in an hour, you know where to find me,"

Gruff pursed his lips, "Mr. Caperino will not be happy,"

"I know," I smiled, "See you later Gruffy,"

xx

Gabe was sitting in last booth in Sally's, typing in his iPhone. A frown pasted on his face. I joined him by the booth and he looked at me.

I took a deep breath, "Before you say anything, I need your help,"

Gabe leaned back to his seat and Stacey walked towards us, "Danielle! It's been a while,"