Chapter 1

The fire raged around us. Gabe held me tight in his arms and he was finding a way out. Mum and dad were trapped. I could barely see through the thick smoke and raging fire. My eyes were burning as I tried to make out the silhouette of my parents. I heard my mum shouted across the room, "RUN!"

I felt Gabe using his entire body to shield me from the falling rack, then he started pulling me out from the collapsing area. I couldn't tear my eyes away from my parents. I can't leave them here to die. They were stuck at the other side – in their office.

I cried, letting lungful of smoke entered my small lungs. My eyes welled up with tears and my lungs are threatening to explode.

The ceiling finally gave out and collapsed, burying my parents. My legs gave up. Gabe carried me out in bridal position and kicked open what used to be the toilet, his blue eyes searching for an exit, finally landed on the window.

Gabe was coughing as he shut the door, stuffing clothes under the slit and wrapped a wet cloth around his fist.

The heat was unbearable. I could hear sirens approaching. I watched my parents' burnt and buried alive.

The window shattered. Gabe was removing the fragments from window, the space was enough to fit both of our size. Gabe got out, his hands reaching towards me, "Come, Danielle! Quick!"

The fire killed my parents. It burned down Belle.S and my house. Now we have to run, because my dad instructed us.

Dad didn't trust anyone. He don't even trust his own sisters or his business partner. He told us not to trust anyone and run from anyone who wants to be our guardian because our inheritance will be taken away from us. He wanted the money to be ours. To be mine and Gabe's.

To do that, we have to run for a year until Gabe turns eighteen. I had nothing left when I was fifteen years old.

That moment, I was thinking of going back into the fire and to die with my parents. Go with them. End all this running.

But I didn't.

The blue eyes was summoning and waiting for me to decide. He was the one who gave me power to live. I owed it to him.

I reached out to Gabe, allowing him to pull me up to the window. It was just a little jump and we could reach the safe ground - to reality.

Gabe was an orphan before he was brought into our family. I was three years old when my parents adopted Gabe. Gabe and I stood by the window and glanced down. The fire continued raging behind us and I heard commotions, sirens and screaming at the other side of the building. Gabe squeezed my hand and kissed my temple, "We can do this."

I looked at my those assuring blue eyes and I nodded, taking the leap with Gabe.

xx

The Heir of Caperino, Elliot Caperino announces his father retirement

I exited the news article on my laptop, took a sip of coffee from my 'I love JAWS' mug that was customised by Gabe. My black Labrador, Jaws, thumping his tail against desk, with his yellow tennis ball in his mouth, inviting me to play with him.

After years of study on the Caperino family, one thing I know for sure, Frank Caperino will not step down from the design industry that easily. How could he? He was the king, holding the most authority in the design industry.

Whatever it is, Caperino is going down as planned.

Jaws heard the door, abandon his dirty yellow tennis ball and dashed towards Gabe. Gabe sauntered in, dashing as usual with his three piece navy colour suit. The sight and smell of Gabe made Jaws leaped up from the ground to welcome Gabe with his sloppy dog kisses.