Chapter 2

The next day after I lost my parents, we went back to the burn site to see if we can get back anything. Gabe held up the yellow tape for me, the sulphur and burned smell hit my senses immediately. Everything was drowned in water. In fact, everything in Belle.S are all burned into ashes.

The both of us need to clean up ourselves and change into clean clothes but all this ashes, all this mess, made us realised that we can't even do or find anything in here.

My stomach let out an involuntarily grumble. Gabe looked at me with a pained look, "We don't have any money."

I held his hand and we walked up to my house. Our house was located right above Belle.S. Gabe moved the yellow tape away and the house was dirty and burned, but not as bad as Belle.S.

Gabe went into the toilet to check for water while I browsed around. I went into my room and looked for cleaned clothes. Half of them are in ashes and only a handful of them can be wore as decent clothes.

The weather will be cold. I grabbed a few winter clothes and looked for my sewing machines that mum got for me on my fourteenth birthday.

Gabe yelled for me, "Danielle! We've got water!" He hurried to my previous room, beaming, "You got clean clothes?"

I nodded and showed him some winter clothes, "This could do the job."

Gabe glanced down to the sewing machine, "We don't have the material to make clothes, Danielle."

I rolled my eyes and pulled out a bucket full of used clothes that I stored, "Who said we need new materials?"

We lived in the burned site for a week and Gabe went to steal food from the bread shop occasionally. We fed on bread, canned food and slept in the cold.

The clothes we produced from the used materials were enough for us walk in the street without looking like some homeless kid - which we are and child services are on the both of us since we escaped from the fire and the news reported that they found two bodies which were identified as famous fashion designer of Belle.S - Lloyd Stewart and Belle Stewart.

After that week, we were being chased away from a group of estate agents. Gabe almost got into a fight with them until one of them recognized me as the daughter of Lloyd and wanted to call the children service. We took our things and ran.

He brought me back to the place where he used to call home before he came into our family. He pulled out a mat and laid it on the ground, putting everything behind us and passed me a piece of bread.

Gabe sighed, "Six more months, we will get the money and live in better place. Eat good food and wear nice and clean clothes."

Gabe repeated that every day to me when he came back with food. I never asked how he got those foods without being caught.

We went place to place to sell the clothes we sewed together. Some Samaritans bought from us and offer us good prices, enough for us to eat a full meal. Some bought it and threw it away.

I only cared about food more than anything else. We met bullies who stole our clothes and Gabe got into fight with them, going home with swollen eyes and bleeding nose.

When Gabe was sleeping that day, I woke up early thinking that I should start selling the clothes and surprise Gabe with food. He was the one who gave me food every day; I want to do it once for him.

I went to the market near Belle.S which was now under renovation. I wanted to know what they are going to do with it. I hide behind a wall and heard a conversation between two men who are wearing suit.