I Wish ~ 7

Chapter 7 - The List

The phone trembled in my hands as I pressed in Harriet's number. I lifted the phone to my ear and waited. "This is Harriet phone. Not here at the moment, so just leave a message and I'll get back to you." I pressed the end button without leaving a message for her.

I ran out to the back of my house where I had a second room with a TV and an old couch. I found a woollen rug and wrapped it around me, the sun poured in through the window on me and I soaked up every last ray.

It got brighter as the sun rose higher in the sky. My eyes grew weak and I lay down on my side I don't know what time it was when I fell asleep but I do remember my parents calling me out for dinner only to find me almost asleep.

When I woke up it was by the birds that sung their song in the early hours of the morning. I had spent all of Saturday sleeping, my teachers will be angry about unfinished homework, but I could ask for an extension.

In the back of my mind I had a weird feeling that everything I saw at Lissa's yesterday was just a strange dream, but then I looked down at my arms where I had scratches from running past the rose bush in her garden.

"What the hell did I see," I whispered to myself. I walked over to my bookshelf and looked for a spare notepad. I opened one up and wrote down all the 'strange' stuff that had happened over the past few weeks.

1. My looks changed…But that’s nothing.

2. Harriet and the bird.

3. Two of my friends abandon me.

4. Harriet at the pool.

5. Something weird went down with Lissa and Sally

I left room for more on the page because I knew this was not the end. I knew that this was just the beginning. But somehow I felt left out; my 3 best friends all have supernatural powers but not me. I wasn't special.

I hid the notepad under the cushion on the couch and went and took a shower. I spoiled myself with a big breakfast afterwards then checked my phone and facebook for chances to express my worry and concern with Harriet but she hadn't replied.

I was worried that whole day and had to be outside working around the house to keep my mind concentrated on something instead of replying Friday’s events. Just thinking of Sally standing there still sent shivers down my spine.

That night I couldn't sleep and had to listen to my iPod. I still ended having a bad dream.

I woke up late on Monday morning and I was rushing to get ready for school. I arrived after the first bell went off so I got to form group late. I looked around for Harriet but she was not to be seen. Lissa and Sally were at the back of the room.

Today I was on my own. I spent the morning periods alone. At recess I finished off some homework. I sat next to Tiffany, a girl I play netball with. She was a nice girl, but was a 'blond' girl; she really was a little dump upstairs. The rest of the day was slow and all I wanted was to get home.

The next day Harriet was still away. She still wasn't there, Wednesday or Thursday, But at lunchtime on Friday she made a surprising appearance.

"Going to tell where you've been?" I asked roughly as she sat down next to me on the bench under the dark green shade cloth just outside the library. "I've been sick." I rolled my eyes and replied, "You were so sick you couldn't answer any of my texts or emails." She nodded her head and took a bite out of her apple. "Are you still coming to my place tonight?"

"Yeah, we've got the whole betrayal thing to do." I still hadn't mentioned to her what happened last weekend but that could wait to when we were inside the walls of my bedroom. 

"Can you switch on the light Harri." Suddenly the room lit up by the dim light and then Harriet came and joined my on my bedroom floor. "I gotta tell you something." Her eyes widened and eyebrows lifted, "Continue!"

I told her about getting off the bus and seeing our ex- best friends. Then I mentioned sneaking over to Lissa place to see what they were doing - she didn't really believe me, so I doubted she believe what came next.

"Ha, very funny, Kiley. You've been watching too much TV. You don't think I actually believe you!" I didn't reply, instead I stood up and walked to the kitchen. I got a coke from the fridge and sat up on the counter. After a few minutes she came in and said, "So what do we do now?"

                                                ************************************************ 

AUTHORS NOTE

Hello! Thanks for reading chapter 7. Please vote, cause I entered this in the Watty Awards and I really want to get into the second round. And I really need some feedback too!

So what did you think? Whos your favourite character so far? Sally, Lissa, Harriet or Kiley? Which power would you have?

Remember to Vote, Comment, Like, Tweet, Fan!