Chapter Twenty-one

Back on the Lazarus, the events below had gradually attracted the attention of some of the passengers. 

People had gathered in small groups around 2D screens as they broadcast live the unfolding drama below. Once the final pod landed safely, spontaneous cheers went up around the ship. This wasn't the case on the bridge where there was a deathly silence as Sinus waited anxiously for the breath report. This would indicate the physical condition of the professor. 

The other three on the drop team had listened intently to developments, but protocol had prevented them intervening. As such, they didn't have more detail than they could gather by listening in, but it was clear this was serious. The stomachs churned as the three pods fired their booster rockets and landed in a triangle on the dusty Martian surface. The triangle that had intended to be a square, had all four pods arrived as planned. The doors to each pod popped and the pressure equalised, two steps protruded from the body of each. The remaining three stepped out onto the surface of Mars. The epic moment marred by the events of the last hour. Whilst in awe of their own achievement, the main concern of everyone was for the wellbeing of the professor.

Back on the Lazarus, the data was finally filtering through. A complex moving graph appeared in the space above the workstation where Sinus and the captain waited.

"Breathing is laboured, 4% carbon dioxide but dropping. Atmospheric pressure dropping," said Sinus as he interpreted the data.

"Meaning?" whispered the captain.

The initial look of relief on Sinus's face slowly changed to concern.

"The pod pressure is dropping, it must be fractured somewhere."

"Can you do anything?"

Sinus ignored her. "Nitrogen/Oxygen reserve levels please," he said into the air.

The computer responded unemotionally, "20%."

"Time?"

"27 minutes."

"Maintain cabin pressure to 80 %," Sinus switched his comm over to the drop team who'd by now clearly landed safely.

"Commander, what's your status?"

"We are on the surface, systems are stable and green, making our way to the hab on foot as planned, I'm with the others, the hab unit about 150 meters away."

"Can you see the transport?"

"Affirmative."

Sinus waved and pressed some holographic buttons in the air. Thousands of kilometres below him the Martian land cruiser burst into life. Neon lights illuminated the six-wheeled monster and the interior glowed in a rainbow of colour as the systems booted up. The exterior lighting and powerful headlights came on, making the machine look like a giant jukebox.

"Commander, I'm booting up the transporter and we have a fix on Pod 3. It's about 2Km to the southwest of you. It's losing pressure and the professor is unconscious. I'm pumping the remaining Nitrogen/Oxygen into the pod. After that, he will be reliant on his suit. We need you to get over there quickly. I've no idea how bad the damage is or how long the pod will hold the pressure."

"Current status?"

"Losing pressure and fairly stable, that's all we can tell. Some of its diagnostic systems are down. We need to get him out, fast."

"Affirmative."

The others had followed the conversation and all three arrived at the hab together. Leroy admired the six-wheeled monster in front of him. Hands on hips, he surveyed the huge 3-meter-high alloy wheels and bulbous tyres, specifically designed to navigate the Martian surface with ease. It was a white, skulking beast that resembled a tiger ready to pounce. He was about to climb the short ladder to get inside.