Chapter Eighteen

"That's a bit of a turnaround, but I'm pleased you've reconsidered," said Prout bemused.

"You were right, over the last few days I've had a good think and I've come this far."

"This far?"

"With the whole project, the caveman, professorship, count me in."

Prout fell back in his chair grinning from ear to ear. "That's great news. I'll let them know straight away."

"That's a point," said Touchreik. "Let who know?"

"The sponsor? I honestly have no idea, but do we care? To think of what these additional samples and artefacts will do for our collection." Actually yes, he did care. Touchreik hadn't seriously expected a straight answer.

"I suppose," he said glibly.

"There's no rush right now is there. You'll find out soon enough, I expect. The drop commander is Theodore Maxtor. He might know?" Touchreik raised his eyebrows.

"Certainly qualified."

"That's all I can tell you. The Lazarus will be ready in about four years and the V-World sim is ready in a few weeks, you can take a look around it then."

"I'll look forward to it."

"It's going to be an open sim to try and encourage bookings for the maiden voyage. They plan to take a few hundred paying passengers as well as you hitchhikers."

Touchreik and the others were pleased with such immediate progress, but that's all there was. The days passed and Touchreik noticed how wild it was on the outside and changes in the climate became noticeable. Leaving the relative warm confines of Heathen the air became crisp and cold very quickly. He experienced his first natural Winter and saw how the humanists adapted to it. Young Louey played in the white fluffy snow until his fingers burned with cold. He would always go back for more. The Spring came and everything thawed, life became easier in Greenwich as people spent time outdoors. Touchreik could feel the chill in the air once more, realising the year had gone full circle.

 Louey made his own snow people now and yet there was little mention of their overall plan. Touchreik became a part-time resident in the room upstairs where he had spent his first night, splitting his time between Heathen and Greenwich. The experience invigorated him and he felt like a new man. There was a feeling of hope for so many things. He still hurt about Ramona and Jagger too but was far from the somber withdrawn character he'd become. A whole year had passed and there was little sign of getting anyone else aboard. They had all toured the Virtual Lazarus ship many times, but Touchreik couldn't invite guests. They had to find a way of getting others aboard and time was ticking.

Simply buying a ticket was an absolute last resort but they had already agreed that would leave them exposed, but if it came to that so be it. They had to plan a clean getaway to avoid any repercussions in Greenwich. At the moment they assumed they were being tolerated out here. If they threatened Mother, that might change. Antoine had become as much a resident at the professor's accommodation. He'd busied himself tidying up before his first visit and this had given him a mental boost. Antoine spent endless hours there, where he had access to the Heathen grid, giving him access to news and information gathering. Often their lives crossed over with Touchreik in Greenwich and Antoine in Heathen and vice versa.

The second outside Winter had settled in and the nights were shorter before the next major breakthrough. Antoine had used a worm in a communication between Touchreik and Theodore Maxtor's to access his comms. Soon, he gained a complete picture of the security planned for the mission. Jak's dining room had generally been the social centre and would now act as a briefing room.