Chapter Twelve

The man destined to change the professor's life forever was called Jagger, and he was beautiful. There was no other word for it, he was striking and had impeccable DNA. Eyes of blue that reflected light, clean, unblemished cream coloured skin. His wispy hair golden hair flowed like straw across his shoulders. 

In any conversation, he listened intently and his eyebrows would drop as if any whimsical thought might be life-changing. The eyes of Jagger struck him the moment he looked up. Touchreik had finished a lecture and was packing away whilst the audience filtered out through the doors or holo's disappeared in the chairs they sat. He was lost in his thoughts and didn't hear the boy approach.

"That was fascinating, Professor Touchreik." He looked up and almost gasped at the figure before him before composing himself. The boy held up his hand and pinched his forehead in greeting.

"My name is Jagger." He pronounced as smooth as silk like Scheagger, his tongue merely dancing on the letter J in a whisper. Had he known that moment would be the beginning of the end for him and for Ramona, had he known what it meant to everything. He might never have held up his hand. He might never have chatted with the boy or lost the rest of the afternoon under his spell.

It was rare to find such enthusiasm for pre-shutdown history but for a boy so young he was an inspiration.

They had chatted for 30 minutes before the professor suggested they continue their conversation elsewhere. He picked up his things and they talked on the way to the transport, in the transport and to the cafe. The conversation was seamless from the moment they had met. The rest of the afternoon evaporated as they sat and chatted about the past, both historical and their own.

"Can I trust you with something, Professor?" said Jagger mid-conversation.

Touchreik paused and narrowed his eyes. "Of course."

The boy's eyes lit up and he held his palms up then fingered his long blonde hair. "I feel I can. You might think I'm crazy, but I have a private collection at home of." He paused. "Of artefacts."

"Ancient?"

"For the most part, yes, I am able to acquire them from the outside."

"How?" said Touchreik leaning forward, lowering his voice, intrigued.

"Naughty," he said, wagging a finger.

"I get them from the scavengers," he said.

The scavengers were drone expeditions who would head out across the planet and excavate elements from the ancient cities for recycling.

"How is that possible?"

"I don't want to give anything away and I won't but. When the scavenger drones go outside, they gather materials. Then they are taken to the recycling areas and broken down into their basic components. Copper, lead, gold and then reused."

"Of course, yes, but how?"

"I have a way of intercepting items of interest," said the boy proudly.

"You have these artefacts stored inside Heathen? What about screening, viruses?"

"Don't worry, Professor, they're safe."

"How can you know that?"

"I have a contact who brings me these artefacts, tested, sterilised and clean."

"That's incredible." Looking around to make sure no one would overhear. "You're sure they're safe."

"You silly man, I've had some of them for years," he said, touching the back of the professor's hand.