Outskirts

(Περίχωρα)

"Are you crazy, What are you doing?!"

Gwen gripped her brothers arm, so tight it must have hurt. Her eyes widening and boring into Nolan. He tugged her hand off, pushing it back to her.

"What do you want from her?!"

"Relax, sis. I doubt she goes maiming just anyone. Those troops probably got on her nerves."

The Gravity Hex wielder made her way towards us. Nolan got out of the truck, straightening his clothes and posture. He put on a welcoming face, clearing his throat.

"We come in peace." he greeted clearly.

The girl stopped some steps before us. With a gentle tilt of her head, she glanced into the truck, before smiling to Nolan.

"So do I." She turned back to the truck, putting a hand on her hip, still grasping her sack. "Going north?"

"Actually, yeah" Nolan's smile cutely showcasing his teeth.

Gwen shot her head to him, gripping the steering wheel. She really looked annoyed, how casually her brother was with the girl. Her eyes zeroed on them so much, if either made the slightest movement, she'd know.

Behind his friendly facade I could sense tinges of unease. He seemed like a person to walk up to a stranger with little worries, but he did just witness this particular dark-skinned stranger send pints of blood gushing out of a dozen Triumph troops - with a comfortable grin on her face.

"I'd appreciate a lift. If you don't mind." the girl said.

"Of course." Nolan gestured for her to follow to the truck, seething with Gwen's annoyance. "You'll have to squeeze in the back, though"

Both came into the truck; Nolan reclaiming his seat and me scooting to make some room.

Gwen most reluctantly twisted the key, driving on. She managed to dissolve the annoyance on her face but it was still in her system, evident in her constant tapping on the wheel.

"Hey, you look familiar."

I switched to our hitchhiker. Her eyes steady on me. I held her gaze, looking if I could say the same. Her dark, caramel skin was crowned with a black-to-brown gradient of curls. Her eyes, dark brown looking attentively and calmly at me. Her lips were full save for a crack ruining the beauty. "Me?" I said.

"Yeah. Not you I think, but someone who looks like you."

She shifted her head past me, analysing Nikól. My sister faced her keeping an unreadable expression.

"Someone who looks like both of you" she narrowed her eyes, shifting her gaze between us. She looked to Nikól's lap - specifically the red fox receiving a fur rub. Her eyes lingered on him for some seconds. In a twitch, her eyes widened then relaxed. She sat back properly, attention out the window.

"Nice pet." she grunted.

Hercules gave her a brief stare before laying properly again to enjoy his massage.

Her side profile gave me a view of her little gold earrings, dangling from all three piercings aligned on her earlobe. On her neck, a tattoo going further down her torso peeked out from her thick long sleeve shirt. She was quite a sight.

"Where are we dropping you off?"

It was Gwen asking. The girl turned to the scenery sliding past as we drove. She pierced her eyes hard at it before drawling.

"Right... about... here. I'm good here."

Gwen slowed to a stop, looking around. There weren't any buildings in sight. Still dirt path and trees. The trees were much taller, matter of fact. "There's nothing here", Gwen mumbled very quietly as she looked around.