Trail (2/3)

(Μονοπάτι)

"How far... to our stop?"

Nikól, panting lightly, barely able to keep walking interrupted the silence in the group.

My face, dug deep into the Summary cocked out looking around, then to Nolan. He in turn looked at her, an eyebrow up.

"Sil, we still have a long way to go"

It was clear with the pout on her face that that was not the answer she was hoping for. She looked to the ground then sluggishly at him.

"Exactly how long?"

He made some steps before teasing.

"Tired already?"

She puffed away strands of hair hovering before her eyes with a frustrated breath. He footsteps were now weaker almost sliding.

"I don't go out much"

He smiled at her putting his hands behind his head, eyes barely open as he slyly spoke.

"An hour should take us to our stop"

Nikól's lips almost bled with the force she bit them with. In her mind, she had walked for a year still having to walk a decade. While in reality, we were just ten minutes from the house with barely an hour to cover.

"You should firm up"

Nikól followed the words to its speaker.

"This is the shortest division of our trip and we're less than a quarter into it"

Gwen had let out her first words since the house earning her a venom filled expression from Nikól.

The Wyvern girl, couldn't have cared less about how her words were taken by my sister. Just like her brother, she walked smoothly with steady steps. Her aura was calm and unreadable. Her brown eyes locked tight to the path. She glanced at her compass at intervals to confirm our north-east movement.

Hercules fed his yellows to the scenery, as he pranced onwards. A dusty, gently winding path having little rocks scattered sparsely around. Trees and other greenery standing idle, carelessly sending either their roots or branches into the way. Some branches extended so much, we had to duck under them. Gust after gust of chilly air racing around like playing children. Birds taking advantage of the air in motion spread their wings to glide along the current. One bird was so skilled it managed to control its body to suspend in mid air. That particular bird ranked top spot on Hercules' attention list.

Nolan hummed a song, our footsteps coincidentally serving as beats to it. He looked so cheerful and upbeat like Dad. Brute Hex served as the reason. The gift made its bearers that way as well as frivolous. But they were not to be taken for granted. When triggered they were beasts to be feared - literally.

A while after Nikól's lamentation, about thirty minutes specifically, Gwen stopped abruptly trying to make out something in the distance. She pierced her eyes hard at it. The rest of the group stopped in tandem.

"What's that?"

She asked still straining her eyes. Nolan came to stand beside her taking a look at it.

"HERA!"

We all turned as quick as possible to Nikól whose eyes were closed. All sharing a confused stare. But when I saw her in no danger, I understood.

"What was that for?"
Gwen let out looking with a mix of confusion and annoyance.

"It's a truck. It's Dad's truck"

Nikól began walking towards it, her pace moderate. Her singing seeping out of her mouth.

"Is it the glow of evil..."

I followed her. The Wyverns looked at each other, both with brown eyes drenched in puzzle. After their mental debate they crept after us.

"...that presents itself again..."

As our party marched spellbound, the dull brown pick-up parked neatly at the side of the pass became clearer in view. My pace quickened putting me in front of Nikól.

"...one rule for the species..."

The truck was now right before us. Gwen revolved round it with Hercules. After making half a circle round it, both stopped at the driver's door. Gwen with high caution set her hand on the handle, then with a puff of bravery lurched it open.

"...and another for the man..."

Nolan concluding it was clear to come near, moved to the hood of the truck, touching it at random spots. The cool feel of brown metal kissed his hands every time they made contact.

"Been here for a while"

Nikól stopped singing as she walked towards Gwen who had mounted the driver's seat. Briskly yet carefully, her eyes went scanning. She had barely even looked when she made a discovery.

"The key is in"

Gwen turned it left, then right. The truck gave a cough of resuscitation before roaring to life. Nolan walked to the front passenger seat and got in. Gwen then turned the key left sending the truck back to slumber. She stepped out, leaving her brother looking inside.

"Isn't your Dad meant to be with this?" she asked looking at me who though eyes rested on her took no heed.

Why-why is it here? It's meant to be with him. He drove it out.

Nikól snapped me back as she pulled on my sleeve. Gwen moved to the front of the truck looking from its wheels straight forward into the path. She squatted caressing the ground.

"No tire tracks from here on"

Nolan came outside, after finding nothing. He moved to the rear of the truck, bending his head down.

"Wind could have cleaned them out. I mean there are no tracks leading here"

Both Wyverns then came back to stand by both Xalids, all in a pool of confusion.

We stood silent as we individual pondered. A breeze blew by urging my hair, not fixed into any do, to a dance. The brown strands finally gave in, swirling gently as the air guided them. I rose my head and switched my gaze to everyone.

"Let's fan out... see if we can find anything"

We nodded after a pause. Gwen moved west of the truck, eyes peeled. Nolan and I set our bags into the trunk. He stretched out as though he was going for a run with a smile glued to his face. He crouched down.

"Let me change"

His cornea went black, alongside his irises that shifted from brown to golden.

"Ktínos Magévo"
(Brute Hex)

He wriggled his head awkwardly looking up to us. I stepped back unconsciously at the sight. A thick black ooze from nowhere spreading from his hands and feet to his torso and finally his head. His grin large, inhuman and frightening. The ooze finally covered him wholly. Suddenly, the black ooze-covered figure that was once Nolan fell to all fours. His size tripled in an instant making Nikól and I to step back more. Gwen, familiar with the sight turned not in awe but just to watch. A snout bearing jagged set of teeth with a similar grin tore out of the ooze first. A bear head followed. His arms pierced out as fore limbs and as the eyes opened the ooze sublimed, revealing an unimaginable sight.

Standing at about seven foot tall and eight in length, clad with matte black fur, beast Nolan pranced past the truck, inadvertently sliding his - its - fox-like tail on it. Though this was the second time I've seen him using his hex, I was very much shocked, more matter of fact. Maybe it was the greater emotion of fear for Nikól in the first occasion or the fact that at the garden, beast Nolan didn't have four golden and black freakish eyes.