Dad's room

(Δωμάτιο του πατέρα)

Please. Please. Please.

I repeated countlessly as I stared at my watch then at the gates leading to the compound. Each tick biting off a bit of my hope. The morning wind set the bits airborne, then sent them away just like it did to the leaves that fell from the trees.

I waited, painfully anxious for him to drive through those gates into the compound. Then I'd get down from the roof, sprint with every bit of energy I'd have and tackle him to the ground as he came out from the truck. I'd hug him so tight I'd shatter a rib or two as I whisper, 'I missed you Dad'

I kept fantasizing still whispering my pleases to whatever deity would bring my Dad home.

I rubbed my hands together for warmth as I leaned on the chimney wall. The breeze making me wince in cold despite my hoodie. Actually, the view was nice. From the roof, you could clearly see around and bask in the little beauty the surroundings had to offer. The compound with its features, the greenery outside it, the horizon slowly picking up the amber from the sun who slid gradually above it. Pretty nice.

Tick.

Six o'clock.

I breathed in deep and stood up. I spared a minute just in case, looking at the gates, then headed inside.

I got out of the roof to the attic where I left my big rucksack. Lifting it, I shut the roof door. I stepped downstairs to the kitchen and began stocking up.

Last night, Nolan gave me a good geographical description of Panoplía, most especially how to get to Krone. Back in school, I never talked about places. I knew most of them by name but going there was the uncertainty.

"You didn't take Geography? What of your friends? You didn't discuss about you know ... going around?" Nolan asked surprised.

I shook my head in response. I never had an avenue nor did I actually want to know where places where and how to get to them. Nolan, being the opposite of me in this aspect, was very sound. As though he'd been studying it all his life. A living breathing map he was.

We ate dinner after his lecture. Nikól barely ate while the Wyverns consumed their helpings of the soup very well. Gwen reported her wound was completely healed up which I gloated to myself. Assuming she didn't let me help, she'd be eating in pain.

We retired to our rooms. I hugged Nikól throughout the night as she slept. I managed to get some sleep of my own but just an hour was possible. My insomniac self got off the bed and out of the room some time around three, making sure to be very stealthy less I'd wake her up. I climbed to the roof and began my wait.

My footsteps about the house woke Hercules up. I shot a hand for my chest as I turned from a cupboard to meet him sitting on the island, staring into me. Like a stalking demon glaring his yellow eyes that glowed with intimidation straight for mine. His tail moving slowly in a semicircular path.

You know, if you are somehow actually a demon, I wouldn't be too shocked.

"Hey Herc" I whispered turning back to the cupboard, tossing an item into the big open bag. He wafted his tail a bit faster before sealing those yellows and curving to lie.

After spending twenty minutes cramming food supplies into the bag. Hercules escorted me to Dad's room to get another bag for our anoraks and one sleeping bag. I didn't bother about one for myself. I knew I wouldn't be getting much sleep. I didn't want to unless I found him.

The room scented of Dad. Clean with a tinge of man scent. His room was almost never disorganized. Every single thing kept neatly. The curtains were closed so I opened them. The golden rays came heavenly through the windows. Though they weren't too bright, they gave good illumination. His wardrobe gave a woody creak as I opened it. Dad's go to leather brown jacket was missing as he used it to head out. On either side of the space left by the absent jacket was dark clothing. Dad was never fond of bright colors which made him look serious when he dressed up, as opposed to his
general upbeat nature.

On the base of the wardrobe I found another big rucksack. Made thick by strong cloth with numerous compartments. The anoraks weren't in the wardrobe so I moved on to the drawers.

Ah what?

A comical gloom filled me as I came face to face with an ... unwanted sight—Dad's underwear.

Shutting that drawer I moved on to another at the lower part. Thankfully, it presented the anoraks. Three of them, all in dull colors but varying sizes according to the respective owner. As I pulled out the two, I felt something under Dad's. Pulling it out I uncovered a familiar sight.

Mum's Summary? What's it doing here?

A thick book, brown paper pages with Mum's handwriting and a plain green leather cover with a belt-like buckle. When we left Krone, we didn't pack anything, Dad picked Nikól up and shot us all here. I remember reading it, rather glancing through it some days before the incident. Hercules noticed my pause and hopped of the bed. As his demon yellows met the leather green, he jumped back and growled lowly. His tail wafting quickly and teeth baring menacingly.

"Problem?"

Puzzled, I looked behind me seeing nothing, then at Hercules still snarling. I peeked down at the book in my hands, raising it to the air to confirm if that was his worry. His eyes followed the book up and down. I narrowed my eyes at him then opened the book. I flipped through it slowly picking up that this wasn't the Summary I read. It was very much written by Mum but its contents were similar yet... different—confusing. Like a second part of the Summary.

I reached out to him gently as I usually did when he'd get riled up. He looked me dead in my eyes. His, wide open, almost as though there was something I was missing about the book and he was trying all he could to hint me. Hercules growled deeper and louder as my hand came closer to him but just as I was about to touch him, I clenched back. The sound he made was nothing short of frightening yet a great understatement to be called that. A deep rumble so loud and resounding, like thunder was literally inside him. His yellow eyes flashed with the sound. I sat there in horror, pupils dilated, fear and confusion wrestling on which would dominate. As the sound echoed Hercules calmed, his rage slowly fading into comportment.

What truly are you?

More sunlight came through the windows bathing the room with proper visibility. The anoraks and the green book still in my hand. Myself on the floor staring. Hercules jumped back to the bed and folded himself to rest.

I heard two pairs of footsteps quickly moving towards the room. Nolan and Gwen stopped sharp as they saw me.

"You heard that?"

Nolan's eyes fixed on me as Gwen's scanned the room. I nodded slowly still looking at Hercules.

"It came from this room. What was that?"