Gàntia

(Γάντια)

It was late afternoon and Dad wasn't back. He never stayed out long especially since Triumph went mad and we got here. I kept calm but Nikól was getting impatient. With worry written all over her face, she paced about the house. I made efforts to pacify her but she held fast to her anxiety.

Our guests were in Nikól's room. After Nolan gave me his background story and Nikól came down from clearing her room, she ushered them there. Gwen kept glaring either at me or at Nikól. Didn't fully trust us. But hey, the felling was mutual.

"Call him again" Nikól said finally settling on the floor in the porch. Her legs definitely weak from her locomotion.

"Sis, calm down he's fi—"

"CALL HIM!" she yelled, at me. Her body jerked as she spoke. My eyebrows rose as my head lurched back before coming forward with stern clearly on my face

"Don't fucking shout at me Nikól" I looked down at her. She folded herself holding her knees. "I perfectly understand how you feel but don't you yell at me."

Slowly her body became mellow as though a simple breath could knock her off. Her eyes dim just like her expression.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean it" she let out. Her voice weak as though she wanted to cry.

I sat down on the floor beside her and sighed.

"I know you didn't. Listen, sis, you have to calm down, we both have to be strong and patient."

"Strong and patient..." she paused, tracing where she had heard the word before. "That's what Mum used to say." she said blinking constantly to hold the tears in her eyes.

I pulled her close and hugged her. My hands scrubbing her hair slowly, trying my best to ease her.

My dear sister. Twelve years old, blind, motherless and worried that she may be fatherless. Everything happening so suddenly. Honestly, I wasn't doing much better than she was. I acted big in front of her and Dad so they wouldn't worry. When they weren't there I cried out - hard, eyes red and head aching. When I was done and got hold of myself, I'd take the same dosage of self advice and encouragement so I'd manage to function. But the words I told myself were never permanent solutions, they were temporal fixes whose effect always wore out. Eventually, I'd still be sobber.

I raised her head and stared into her open eyes. I kissed her forehead.
"Let's stop this, okay? Let's keep it together and figure things out"

She nodded, snorting, pushing her head to nest just at the base of my neck.

"Yeah... let's"

We remained like that for a while. I kept scrubbing her head till I felt hiccups from her.

I slowly let her go and went in to get some water for both of us. On getting to the fridge I thought of something. I took two bottles and got back giving them to her.

"Sis, I'll be back in a sec. Lemme use the bathroom" I said gently.

I climbed upstairs to Nikól's room. I thought it'd be nice to check up on our guests. It was over an hour since they came up. I opened the door and instantly gasped.

"What the—Knock please!" Gwen shot out.

"Oh my God!"

"Can you please leave?!"

It took some seconds to register her snap. The sight was so bizarre.

"Uh y-yeah sure"

I closed the door resting my back on it. Gwen was undressing with her back towards the door, really close to it. She had taken off her black jacket and was taking of her shirt. This revealed a huge slash wound across her back, from her left shoulder to right hip. And it was deep.

What in the world happened?!

I turned to face the door and knocked.

"What do you want?" Gwen groaned, dragging out the last word.

"Can I take a look at that—in-jury?"

"Let it be. It's fine. Don't worry." she replied dropping each sentence with the clearest of her voice.

"Gwen" I breathed "I'm coming in"

I turned the doorknob entering the room. She was now only on her bra and her cargo pants. The not-so-pleased Gwen folded her arms, narrowing her eyes gleaming with annoyance.

"What's your deal?"

"That wound doesn't look good. It may rotten and become a problem"

"Nice observation, Doc. Like I said, let it be"

I didn't speak. She rolled her eyes. "You're awfully nice... Why are you so concerned?"

You know, you're right. I'm being too concerned. I should just leave you. Let that thing be with you. Maybe when it eventually becomes a problem and eats you up, you'll understand.

I pinched the bridge of my nose gently, debating more with myself. I turned to leave but quickly faced back. I took a second to reconfirm my resolve.

"Please don't be stubborn. Let me look at it. I just want to help"

She stared at me and turned around.
The slash was from a thick sword judging from the looks. Maybe it was from the stampede at Thórakas.

I doubt she would tell me about it.  Nolan could?

"When did you have this?" I asked observing.

"A week ago" she bluntly replied.

"Looks like you got it yesterday. Like I thought, your wound isn't healing properly. Lay on the bed"

She hesitated then lay down, right next to her fast asleep brother. I felt across the wound and she kept hissing as I did.

"Can't you just fix this with that hex of yours?" she growled gritting her teeth.

Enhancement Hex, at my level, increases or quickens the body's ability to do something. If it were to be used on this wound it will be a waste as some arrangements have to be made.

"No. I'm going to head down and get some things. Take a shower and lay down just as you have."

------

Her convoys made their way to the city square where she would address her new subjects. All three of them heavily guarded, moving with moderate speed. In each convoy, some Gray Hex wielders made moving silver walls that bordered the convoy from the people. Some spread out and mixed among the crowd. Others made a swirling ring of silver that caged the center of the convoy. All as means of protection.

Between the three convoys only one carried the Grande Dame, or at least that was the notion. There were three so as to make it difficult for rebellion attacks to decipher which one it was. The convoys never announced their coming, they just showed up, did what they had to do and left.

The convoys merged at the city square. Everyone still and silent. The air cool with dim skies. The walls remained but the Gray Hex wielders that made the swirling rings fused them together to form a podium. Three troops, one from each convoy, stood on the tall podium facing outwards with a space in the center for the Grande Dame.

She emerged in grace and power taking her stance on the podium.

"People of Gàntia, behold your ruler." one of the troops on the podium announced.

The people bowed in unison then rose.

"People of Gàntia," she spoke, voice clear and subtle like the breeze that blew by "I, Grande Dame Athena will henceforth take charge of the city. Do as I say and all will be well. Anyone who wishes to go contrary will be executed on sight."

That was all and she disappeared into the crowd. Just as the convoys came, they left.

Truth is, Grande Dame Athena never came or left in any of her convoys. The persons in the center of the them were female troops dressed and made up to resemble her exactly. The convoys were just displays - she moved on her own.