Cottage

(Καλύβα)

Some guards and the maids who came with, went about carrying in the monthly supplies of food to the house. Bags of bread, vegetables, jars of honey and jam, cartons of milk, crates of eggs, alongside other commodities fresh from their sources.

Mrs. Halder sat in the big armchair towards the edge of the living room, watching with little interest as her house got stocked up. Brown locks of shoulder length hair sprawled around her head. She looked sleepy with her brown eyes half hidden under their lids. On the armchair opposite her, sat an exact recreation of her daughter; leafy green irises housed by catlike eyes. A gently and beautifully sloping nose that positioned above black painted lips. She had fair, unblemished skin on every inch of her. Long, straight, shiny black hair crowned her head. She was dressed in a dull green, long dress that matched her eyes nicely. None spoke to each other, as they had no reason to.

Soon the drop off was done. The guards and maids bowed to the woman of the house, then left to the convoy outside. The lookalike did same. She seemed relieved to go as her steps were a bit brisk. She closed the door on her way out.

Mrs. Halder sighed as she sat up. From the kitchen, her true daughter walked in and sat in the just vacated armchair.

"Good afternoon, mother"

There was something wrong. In her looks - in her eyes. Catlike, leafy green but lacking a detail. A detail that was very much characteristic of her. Though her face had its usual calm yet threatening demeanor, her eyes lacked its gleam of power.

Her mother did not reply, though her cold brown eyes never left her daughter.

"How are you faring?"

"Well" she blurted out almost immediately.

Deafening silence soaked the room. Mrs. Halder repositioned in her seat setting her head to rest on her hand. Grande Dame Athena turned her head to the lit fireplace, watching the fire burn the wood slowly.

"My offer for you to stay in the castle is st—"

"Just like I said, no"

Another quick and harsh response sent Athena's eyes shut. She pressed her lips tight. She breathed in and out silently then turned to her mother. As she opened her eyes, the gleam was back. Though forced, it shimmered in the firelight that further propagated intimidation. Her mother was immune to it as her icy stare remained constant.

"Someone could come for you knowing your connection to me. Staying in the palace will ensure your safety"

A smirk suddenly showed on her mother's face which grew into chuckles then full laughter. Slowly the weird display subsided leaving a cold frown.

"I can handle myself just fine, Athena."

"Mother. I want you to stay in the palace."

Both were pissed, scowling at each other. Athena's expression was still calm but her eyes were boiling in anger. Her mother leaned forward.

"Is that an order, child?"

Her voice clear and toxic. Unlike her daughter, she didn't hide her anger. Her face from cold to burning.

"Is it?" she repeated.

"Mother, do you not understand that you could be in danger? Pe—"

She cut herself off as something she had not seen in a while came into view. A younger, truly exact reflection of herself. She didn't have to wear any sort of make-up to serve as a decoy. The reflection walked out of a room and stopped on setting eyes on Athena. The Grande Dame was vacant, like she had seen a ghost. Looking into green eyes that naturally matched hers. She gripped her dress. Both didn't stop staring. Their mother stood up and left to the kitchen.

"Leave" the girl spoke through gritted teeth and closed eyes

"Na—"

"Athena please, just ... leave"

The girl's eyes opened, bearing tears but none was let down. She balled her fist tight trying to keep herself in check. But as Athena stood up and made a step towards her, she let it all out.

"Nathalie—"

"LEAVE ATHENA LEAVE! LEAVE BEFORE YOU KILL SOMEONE! GO AWAY!"

Roaring with anger and sorrow, Nathalie dropped to the ground weeping heavily. Athena watched her. Her calm demeanor slipped to reveal pure sadness. The eyes that shone with power shut itself in grief and guilt. She killed her father, right in front of her sister.

She rushed out through the backdoor, speeding past her mother. She could not stand to watch her sister like that, it would break her more than she was already broken inside.

Yes, the all-powerful tyrant, Grande Dame Athena, had a story. A story  that very few knew. One that would give anyone who could hear it, a whole different perspective on her.

The remaining guard joined the convoy and it left. Mrs. Halder came to lift her younger daughter, tears on both faces though Nathalie's was far wetter.

------