Ties and Bonds

"Yes, I know the Avatar...very well." I said with an eye-roll. Aang raised an eyebrow at me. I hid my laughter, they had noooo idea. "The Avatar....after you, is obviously, a waterbender, from the Southern Water Tribe." I said, looking at Katara. She beamed with a mixture of pride and surprise, but there was a hint of sadness hidden behind her smile. "Her name is Korra. She's, well she's what you would describe as an angry go-getter. She is strong, I do have to say, but struggles a great deal with spirituality. It took her FOREVER to even begin to start to airbend. She kinda rushes into dangerous situations without giving much thought before hand, which kinda angers my dad a little bit. But she does have a heart to protect and defend. She just needs to work on patience and self-control. Patience is a big one for her, one time she got hurt and ran away in hiding for three years. No one knew where she went, we thought she died, but everything's ok now." I said, reminiscing in past events. I felt a little bad for talking so much. 

      Aang was just taking all the information in and the kids, well they were just staring at me, probably not understanding a word I was saying. "Sorry was that too much? I can slow down If you need me to." I asked sheepishly, rubbing my neck. "Wha- no, no I'm just thinking, sorry." Aang said. Tenzin started crying in the other room. Katara immediately got up, and the kids followed behind her. I decided to let Aang think without interruption. So I simply just looked out the window, watching the trees sway in the wind, humming a song Gran-Gran taught me. A few minutes went by, but I finally spoke up. "Hey..are you ok?" I asked, softly. He looked up, and gave me a sad smile. "Yeah, I'm fine. It's just...a lot to take in, you know?" He paused. "I mean, I've never really thought about those things, the future I mean. I don't know if I should be saddened by it, or really really proud." He said, looking to the side. "Both, I think both. I mean yes, I would be deeply troubled if someone told me something like...that... but if I were you, I would be overjoyed to know that, even though it might not make sense yet....everything will be ok." I said, deep in thought. 

    He smiled, truly this time. "You're right, if I focus only on the negatives, I'll miss all the joy." He stated, happliy. 'Man, he's smart' I thought. "I just wish I didn't have to forget this...forget you." He said, sadly. I was saddened, too, but then I had an idea. "Hey, maybe when I get back to my time, I can try to find you in the Spirit World, I mean, I go there all the time anyways, why not do something productive while I'm there!" I said, smiling. He thought about it for a second. "That actually could work, that's a great idea Jinora!" He said, excited. 'Then he could meet my siblings' I thought to myself. To be completely honest, I've tried to find Aang before, several times actually, but failed every time. I soon figured out that since I never knew him, our spirits didn't have a bond that would allow me to find him. But now that I had met him, this could be possible. And I couldn't wait to try it. 

    Katara came back with the kids, and with Tenzin. "He's refusing to go to bed, I give up." She said tiredly, handing him to Aang, who gladly took him. Everyone settled back down. "Well, there is only one last thing of importance that we need to talk about, but thankfully this is a happy one." I said. They all nodded eagerly, awaiting my story. "Well, two years ago something happened, it's called the Harmonic Convergence." I began to explain what it was to them and the background on it. (I'm not going to write all about that, I don't have time, sry) "Anyways, after that all happened, something amazing happened. Balance began restoring itself when Korra opened the Spirit Portals. Airbenders came back, non-benders from all over suddenly gained the ability. Currently, in my time, we are working on training a whole legion of new airbenders. Of course not everyone wanted to be taught or, join our religion, but we have to respect their choice." I explained. Aang was in crying in pure joy and what seemed to be relief. Katara was looking at him with pride and the kids were whispering excited things to each other. Aang calmed down a bit and said, "That's truly amazing..I can't believe they came back!" I smiled at his joy. "OH! One more thing one of the new airbenders includes Bumi." I said, looking at the wild-haired boy. Everyone looked at him in amazement. The boy was speechless and happy. "I won't have to be the only one anymore?" He asked. "The only one of what?" Kya asked him, confused. "The only one who can't bend, the one who can't do anything." He stated, as if that was clear truth.

     He didn't even sound upset, I think he truly believed that, I was shocked, I've always looked up to him, he was such a skilled fighter, even without bending. "Oh Bum, you can do tons of things! Bender or not, your an extremely talented kid." Aang reassured him. Katara and I nodded in agreement. Bumi looked up at him, with a confused look. "Really?" He asked calmly. "Yes, really, I hope you know that none of us view you as any different from anyone else." Aang said, comfortingly, then hugged him. I could tell that Bumi felt really relived, as if someone took a weight of his chest. When they were done talking everyone looked back at me. "Oh, well that's basically it, unless you guys have any questions...."