Comfort and Heartache

I didn't eat lunch, instead I worried myself sick and kept circling "What ifs" all throughout my brain. I just stared out the window, zoning out the conversation at the table, until I felt someone shaking me. It was Kya. "Ji-nor-a! JJIIINNNOORRAAA!!!!" Kya whined as she shook and pulled my arm. I shook my head, leaving my stress-filled trance. "Wha-sorry what did you say?" I asked her. She pouted. "Nora, I was saying that Momo is on your arm, but you don't seem to notice. Well you aren't really noticing anything, what's wrong?" Kya asked. She was right I hadn't noticed Momo. I've never met the lemur, but Gran-Gran and Uncle Bumi would tell me funny stories about him. Momo looked nothing like all the lemurs I know, including Poki, Meelo's lemur. But anyways, Momo chattered into my ear as I pet him, then he flew over to Aang's shoulder. "Sorry Kya, I'm just a little tied and distracted, that's all." I lied. She gave me a worried glance, then nodded, going back to her food. 

     I helped clean up, and the kids and Katara went to put Tenzin in Aang and Katara's room for a mid-day nap. So it was just Aang and I in the living room. I sat back down in my chair, trying to act perfectly calm, but unfortunately I failed. "You know, whatever is bothering you, you can talk to me about it." He said, completely aware to my fidgeting. I sighed. "Am I that obvious?" I asked, in a defeated tone. He laughed. "I gotta tell you, I've had plenty of experience with feeling stressed and worried, I pick up on the behavior pretty quickly."  

         He explained. It made sense, I mean he is...or was...the avatar, not to mention he was basically a celebrity. Then pile on life's problems... I can't imagine all the stress he was put under. "I'm sorry I've been acting this way, it's just, some of the things I'm going to tell you...well they're not the easiest to talk about." I admitted. He looked at me thoughtfully. "I know I can't fix your fear, or make it go away. But, Jinora, you're a brave kid, whatever it is you have to talk about, I'm sure you can say it." He reassured me. I took a second to stop and think about what he had said. Then I ran over to him, and hugged him. Without question, he hugged me back. It was an amazing feeling, a feeling of lightness and joy, but also a hint of grief. I stepped back. "Thanks, I-I really needed that." I said quietly. He smiled and nodded. 

     Everyone came back to the living room and sat down. I looked at Aang with a worried look, he simply nodded. "There is one thing my siblings and I have never done." I stated. "And what's that?" Katara asked. I took in a huge deep breath. "We've n-never met our.....we've never met our g-grandfather." I said sadly, looking at Aang. Everyone turned their heads to look at the avatar. There isn't really enough words to describe all the emotions that flashed across his face. But one thing's for sure he looked devastated and really, really troubled. Katara was leaning against him, whispering to him, what she was whispering, I don't know. A single tear rolled down his face, but he quickly stopped it and looked at me. "I'm sorry Jinora." He said quietly. I was heartbroken, I never meant for him to feel so bad. "No, don't be, it's not your fault, and it never will be." I said sternly, I wanted to make sure that he knew I was holding nothing against him. He nodded, sadly. "Wait if in your time I'm....you know...that means there is a new avatar, do you know him or her?" He asked, slightly less distraught. "The Avatar? O-o-o-o-oh...... I know her"