Chapter One

(notes at the end of the chapter)

The monotony of daily life can be almost exhausting for anyone. For a student, going to the same school, seeing the same faces and doing the same tasks every day can get boring fast. Allyssa is a simple-minded person. A simpleton, as some of her peers called her. Little things like a new student can be enough to pique her interest.

She thought she saw some unfamiliar faces when she walked into class today. However, seeing as it was early in the morning and she hadn't had any coffee, she chalked it up to tiredness. No way did her favorite band get transferred into her school. That kind of thing only happens in stories. This is real life, and she should know better. Besides, aren't they all in their twenties? It just wouldn't make sense for them to be in high school.

After the bell rang and the principal read off the morning announcements, her teacher crossed to the front of the room. "Class," Mrs. Sontgen addressed them, "very quickly, I'd like to you all to meet our new students." They all turned to look, except for Allyssa, who was too distracted by the KPOP fanfiction she was reading. "Michael, Luke, Calum and Ashton will be joining us for the remainder of this school year."

Allyssa was immediately brought out of her own little world when she heard those names. Was she not just seeing things this morning? She looked around the classroom until she saw them. Not only were all four members of Five Seconds of Summer in her class, but Michael Clifford was sitting right next to her! When he smiled at her, she frantically looked away, trying not to show her flushed face.

Her friend, Angelina, tapped her fingers on Allyssa's desk. "Do you know these guys?" She whispered.

Allyssa bit her lip. She didn't want to lie, but she didn't want to tell Angelina the truth. She wanted 5SOS all to herself. Why would she share them with someone who doesn't even know who they are? "No clue-"

"Ladies," Mrs. Sontgen interrupted them. "I'm sure we're all just thrilled about the new students. Please, let's try our best to pay a morsel of attention to today's lesson. I know that'll be hard for some of us." She glanced around Allyssa. She sneered back, not fearing her teacher or any repercussions.

The lesson about ancient Mesopotamia bored Allyssa out of her mind. Why couldn't they learn about things that actually mattered? There should be a KPOP appreciation class. She might actually be able to pass that one! Interrupting her daydream about her favorite KPOP group joining her class was a note being dropped on her desk. She picked it up and unfolded it.

you look smoking. this lady is boring. how about you help me get caught up after class?

She looked around, trying to figure out who gave this garbage to her. When she glanced at Michael, he was staring back at her. "Player," she scoffed.

"Excuse me?"

Allyssa looked up. Her teacher heard what she said, and she wasn't amused. "Huh?" She grunted.

"Miss Gjerde, are you even paying attention?" It's not like she was surprised. Allyssa seemed to think she had better things to do than take notes or even go to school at all. "If you think you're too smart for this class, can you at least tell me how many laws are in Hammurabi's code?"

Allyssa squeezed her eyes shut, reaching into the deep, black abyss of her mind. Somewhere in the void, she found a number. "282?"

"N-" Wait. That was right! "Please pay close attention in the future," her teacher advised, unwilling to admit her defeat. Allyssa was just relieved she got it right. Sighing in relief, she leaned back in her seat. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Michael smirking at her.

•••

notes:

wattpad doesn't have the notes system that ao3 has, so i'll be putting all my author's notes at the end of every chapter. you can skip them, if you want.

once again. i'd like to reiterate that i have never intentionally listened to a 5sos song in my life. nor do i know anything about the members. i'm simply remastering the original version to be a bit more legible, because it's a literary classic that should be accessible to anyone. i'm trying to stay as true to my source material as possible, so i won't be adding any additional scenes.