06

"Well I work behind the scenes. I only take action when there's an issue, like now," Netero explained. "So Menchi-kun,"

"Yes sir,"

"You failed all applicants because you disapproved of their reluctance to try new things?" I then notice that his eyes were darting to Menchi's chest. It made me cringe. Just when I thought I could finally meet a normal guy for once but I guess not.

"No sir," Menchi gulped, "I lost my cool when one of the candidates insulted the Gourmet Hunters and I made the exam harder than necessary, "

"In other words, you're aware that this exam was unacceptable,"

"Yes sir," Menchi admitted which made some applicants snarled in annoyance. "When cooking is involved, I lose control. I'm unqualified to be an examiner. I will resign as a examiner so please redo the second phase,"

Damn, if they redo it, then I'll have to take it again. I sighed and twirled the ends of my hair using my fingers. This Hunter exam is taking a toll on me, I should have prepared myself sooner than this.

"If we fire you, it would be difficult to find someone else," Netero wondered and within a moment, an idea suddenly got on his mind. "Very well, how about you propose a new test but this you should participate in it!"

With that Menchi proposed the new challenge which was boiled eggs, it made some of the applicants wonder what she was talking about. Then she proceeded to tell Netero to take them to Mt. Split-in-Half using his airship. Netero agreed.

Soon we arrived at the place where the second challenge was gonna take place. I was with Netero, this time, since I am able to pass the test earlier. He was eyeing me the whole time and I could tell he wanted to ask me some questions.

"Are you perhaps from Gakuganji Clan?"

"Hmm, how could you tell?" I asked and he let out a laugh. He almost choked from too much giggling. I couldn't find what was funny about what I said.

"White hair and blindfold, you look like exactly someone I know. Ruina Satoru? Did it ring any bell to you?" He asked and waited for my response. I pursed my lips and contemplated whether to introduce myself or not.

"Ruina Satoru, she was my colleague and a great friend of mine. Seeing you made me go back to the past." Netero dreamily said. I could see a glint of happiness shining through his eyes. "She was my ex-lover, though he dumped me as soon she got engaged with Yoshinubo,"

"Well, that seems nice," I said before walking away from him. But I didn't even get that far when he suddenly appeared in front of me. I let out a sigh and stared at my nails, wishing they were longer so I could stab it unto his eyes.

"He called me, asking if you were okay. I didn't know that the guy had some soft spot for you,"

I stayed silent and waited for him to talk again but he didn't. We were awkwardly staring at each other before I decided to walk away again.

"He told me to remind you of your mission and stay focused on it."

Those were the last words I heard before I went outside of the airship to check what's happening. I arrived to Menchi explaining what was hanging deep down. I wasn't surprised when Netero was already there too, adding up backed up information. Without even thinking Menchi dropped down and hung on the spider eagle's web like it's nothing. She then proceeded to jump deeper to grab an egg. She then got lifted up in the air with updraft coming out of the ravine.

Gon and his gang went down and others seemed to follow them. I sighed, these people didn't wait for an explanation and just jumped down. I saw the web snapping bit by bit. Well it seemed like this is the last time I would see them again.

But who am I kidding? Gon screamed to let go since he sensed that there was an updraft coming. I couldn't help but applause for him for that. Soon they all got lifted in the air, laughing happily.

After that dangerous challenge, the eggs that they got were boiled in a pot of water and soon ate it. I stared at the sun set as I rethink what Netero has said to me earlier. Soft spot? My grandfather is known to be ferocious. He's a beast when it comes to fighting. why would that old geezer say that and the mission, he called just to say that I should focus on my mission?

"Damn that old fu—"

An egg was suddenly shoved to my mouth and I turned to see it was Killua who done it. He and Gon were laughing at me again. I couldn't scold them off as my mouth was full of egg. The moment I chewed on it, I felt my soul going to heaven.

"This is amazing!"

"Now you experienced the joy of discovering how good something can taste. We're risking our lives for that joy," Menchi said to the blonde boy who was being rude to her earlier.

"I was completely outclassed this year, I'll be back next year," he stated before bowing down.

My eyes went back to the setting sun. All the worries seemed to fade away when they're here. I smiled and took a last look at them before heading back inside of the airship.

>>>>

757 readers! That's a record, I didn't expect to get much reads. Anyway have a blessed day everyone!

>>>>

Chapter edited! Ruina's maiden name is changed to Satoru. So in other words her surname before she got married to Yoshinubo was Satoru