Chapter Seventeen

Shawn's POV

The girl led us into a living room with huge white couches and a large stone fireplace.

"My dad and I moved here about a month ago. After my mom died last year, we just couldn't stand to stay in that house any longer." The girl explained.

"Oh!" She exclaimed, thrusting her hand towards Ali, "I forgot to introduce myself, I'm Kristen McSilber."

In an instant, Allison's body went rigid. I ran my fingertips up and down her arm.

"You okay?" I asked.

Ali took a deep breath and sighed.
"McSilber was my mother's maiden name."

At that moment, a tall man walked into the room. He was wearing light jeans and a hockey jersey. He leaned down, kissed Kristen on the forehead before finally noticing us standing there.

"Oh hey." He said as he turns towards the door, before whirling back around to gawk at Allison.

"Beth?" He questioned, his blue eyes wide.

Allison's face turned pale white, and her grip on my hand tightened.

"Uh um no it's Allison, Beth's daughter." Ali stuttered, looking pained.

The man stepped forward. His eyes the same shade of blue as Kristen and Allison's.

"You-you're Allison? Allison May?" He asked.

"Who are you?" Ali asked.

"You don't remember me? I'm your uncle John. I'm Beth's brother."

Allison let out a loud gasp and fell back against my chest.

"What?!" Kristen breathed in sharply.

John sighed and sunk into the nearest chair. He gestured for us to sit on the couch. Ian sat on the end of the couch near Kristen. I sat next to him with Ali curled into my lap.

John took a deep breath and began his explanation.

"You and Kristen are identical twin sisters. Beth and I had a falling out when you and Kristen were about two years old. My wife and I were not able to have children. So when your mom was admitted to the mental hospital due to depression and anxiety, we decided two children was too much for her to handle. Your father and her had taken a break because of his affair. She agreed to give us Kristen, and she would keep you. But then she got better, and your father came back. But my wife had been so attached to Kristen, we just couldn't give her back. So we legally adopted Kristen. About six months later, we had a huge falling out. We agreed that because of you girls, we would keep you away from each other. I moved to the US with Kristen and her mother. Then last year, Kristen's mom died in a car accident, and we moved up to Canada."

Kristen and Allison both started crying.

"Oh my god I've always wanted a sister!" Ali cried, leaping forward to into Kristen's open arms.

"So I'm guessing that Kristen already knew she was adopted?" Ian asked.

John nodded.

"Tell us more about before we were separated!" Kristen shouted enthusiastically as Ali sunk back into my lap.

"Beth and Jack got married. Then Beth had you girls. Your mom had depression, nobody ever knew why. Then she developed severe anxiety issues. When your father told her about his affair, she lost it. She was committed to the mental hospital. Your father fixed up his issues and never went to visit the other girl again. Your parents from what I know, still are living a great life full of love."