Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

Nova

Absently, I rub my now bruiseless neck, staring ahead at thralls of the parade. It was a Halloween Parade, and normally I love this kind of thing, but I couldn't enjoy myself. Ash and Deja kept trying to get me to engage in their silly dances, but I stood idly by.

"Nova..?" I feel my spine stiffen at the soft voice from behind me. I turn and glare in Filip's direction.

"Oh, Goody. You're here." I snap, turning back around. He scoffs and sits next to me, and I stir my 'Witches Brew,' a fancy way of saying green skittle vodka. He glances dissaprovingly at my bloodshot eyes, and I snarl. "What? Now I'm not allowed to drink?" I hiss, downing more of the green substance.

"God, Nova, can you even stand up?" He asks in exasperation. I ignore him and drown him out in the loud pumping music. I go to lift the cup again when he grabs my wrist. I look at him, and he smiles gently. Its about then that I see his wings, out in the open. For some reason, I burst into laughter, and he grins wider.

"Looks like we both went with ourselves for costumes, eh?" He grins, taking in my skeletal makeup and black dress, the scythe necklace, and the stockings with screaming ghost patterns.

"Apparently so. You know, it'd be a waste of that dress if you didn't dance." He stood up, and in the lighting, his eyes turn a light cobalt blue. He extends a calloused hand toward me. "Do the honor, My Demoness, of dancing with a poor Fallen Fool." I smile and take his hand, standing up. The world goes wobbly as he leads me to the floor, but his arms are around my waist before I can fall, righting me. He starts dancing with me, like a waltz... Two steps, one, two, front, back... Its about a minute into the song when I look up and whispers, "This isn't a slow song..." His smile almost impossibly grows wider, and he whispers back, "I know."

In fact, we slow danced all through the night, until the first slow song actually came on. A bit into the song, he leans down and sings softly into my ear, "Did you fall for a shooting star while you were looking for yourself out there?" In a soft, heavenly voice. I find myself leaning against him, my eyes closed, and he sings, "The story of a man who was too afraid to fly so he never did land." I smile, and as the song ends, he looks down at me, and I look up. I start to push myself up on my toes, leaning in.

He leans in too, then, just before our lips meet, he pulls back.

"Wha- What's wrong?" His face twists, and he whispers, "I want you to actually want to kiss me."

"I do! I want to-" His head starts shaking.

"You're drunk. You don't know what you want." He pulls back, and without his strong arms to support me, I almost fall. He sighs and grabs me again, practically carrying me out of the club, and as the door closes, the song sings "Heavens overatted," and his arms tighten around me. I pass out half way to my apartment, and I dream of Drops of Jupiter and a Falling Star with Navy blue eyes and turquoise hair and silver piercings.

♦×♦

"Nova?" Ash shakes me, and I groan, rolling over and ignoring him. "Nova! Yer boy be callin'."

"What boy?" I whisper, thinking, oh lord what did I do last night?

"Yer fallen. Di'nt ye almost kill 'im?" I pause for a moment, then sit straight up in bed, and fumble for my iPhone.

"Hello?" I shout, and Ash cringes.

"Um... Hello! Good morning to you to, Nova..." Filip mumbles. I turn bright red, and push my hair outta my face.