Chapter 9

Marina POV (earlier)

I sat on my favorite electric blue vintage bean bag chair, pencil and notebook in hand. Practice Makes Perfect by Cute Is What We Aim For was blasting through my stereo. I was frowning at the notebook in my hands, thinking deeply. I was trying to write a poem, but every time I got a few lines in, I crossed it off because it sounded bad. I tended to do this a few times when I was writing, but not as many as I had today.

I closed my notebook with a sigh, giving up for now. I stood and stretched, my long curly hair tickling my bare shoulders. My black halter top was riding up slightly, exposing my flat stomach and my blue spiked belly ring, which matched my blue daisy dukes.

(A/N: for anyone who doesn't know, daisy dukes are short and tight jean shorts)

I yawned as I stretched my back, now feeling the exhaustion of the day's events. I surveyed my room with my eyes, and saw that it was a complete mess. I sighed, going to work on picking everything up. When I finished, I sat on my now couch futon and grabbed my guitar. I switched songs to If It means A lot to You by A Day To Remember and began playing along. I was absorbed in the music, playing song after song on my guitar. I had my eyes closed, my calloused fingers feeling the worn down strings, and the rough pick.

I slowly opened my eyes when I finished playing The Way I Loved You by Taylor Swift. I looked around my room, content from playing the guitar. I looked at the clock and my stomach grumbled. It was 3:30! And I still hadn't eaten lunch. I sighed, placing my guitar back on its stand, that was mounted to the wall. I grabbed my blue converse and slipped them on, walking towards the door of my room. I walked down the creaky stairs and towards the door. With my hand on the doorknob, I realized the tape that I had placed on the door to know if someone had entered was moved. It was unattached from the door, fluttering in the warm summer breeze. I pulled the rest of the tape off the doorjamb and realized that there were 2 possibilities.

1.)    Someone was in my house

Or

2.)    The tape had fallen off of its own accord.

I decided I was probably being paranoid, but I still opened the door cautiously. I opened the door just wide enough to squeeze through, but not make any noise. I walked stealthily towards the kitchen so I could make my lunch. I froze when I heard what sounded like a low gasp, and some undistinguishable mumbling. I walked in to see the same muscles and hair that I saw sprinting from my house this morning. The murderer. In my kitchen. Oh. My. Gosh. I tried to hold back my scream, but it was impossible.

LEVI POV

I whirled around to the sound and was face to face with Marina once again. Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit. I was so into my work that I hadn't heard her sneak up behind me. I reached down to grab the gun in my ankle holster and pulled it out with fumbling fingers, ready to kill this girl. I was still so shocked from seeing her that I couldn't think. I couldn't move either, and my hands were shaking so bad that the gun fell from my hands and bounced off my foot, skidding across the floor.  I watched in desperation as my weapon slid right underneath the stainless steel refrigerator. Damn. I liked that gun.

I realized I would have to fight this girl to get out, as she was blocking the exit. I bent my knees into my fighters stance and attached. My left leg swung out, but she blocked it.

She BLOCKED my kick!

What the hell? It MUST have been a fluke thing. I swung out again, this time with my right foot, quickly followed by a right jab. She not only blocked both of my attacks, but returned with a left footed karate kick that sent me crashing into the stone wall. The TV had disappeared, back into place in the wall. I jumped back up and looked at Marina to see that she was in a karate stance, smirking.

Shit.

Marina POV (before the fight)

I was shocked to see this man in my kitchen. I watched as he reached down towards his ankle.

What the hell is he doing?

I stood motionless as he pulled out a gun, hand shaking. Oh Crap!

I was rooted to the spot in fear. I stood completely still as he slowly raised the gun. Just when I thought that this was really going to be the end though, the gun fell out of his still shaking hands and hit his foot, ending up under the fridge.

Man was that lucky. That would've been the end for me for sure.

I was snapped back to reality when I saw a foot flying through the air towards my face. In reflex, I swung my arm out to block it. The man looked puzzled for a second before his other foot swung out, then a fist. I blocked both attacks easily and, instincts kicking in, I countered the attack with a kick that sent him flying.

I knew karate class would come in handy some day.

I took a deep, calming breath, and got into my karate stance. I felt so comfortable here, this was how I belonged. Fighting.

Levi attacked again, this time landing a blow to my stomach, but I blocked his roundhouse kick and used my trademark move, an opened handed karate chop, followed by a roundhouse kick, then two jabs. I landed the first hit, but as I was spinning in my round house kick the man grabbed my leg and slammed me to the ground. All the wind was knocked out of me when I hit the floor, and my vision blacked out for  a second. I looked around to see the man running towards the fridge. I flipped off my back and onto my feet in one swift motion. I turned to face him just as he was picking up the gun. He spun around and shot, without really aiming. Surprisingly, the bullet came near enough to me that I felt the need to get out of the way. I dove behind the marble island and rolled to the side where the mysterious man was. Just as he raised the gun to shoot again, I swung up my leg and kicked it out of his hand. I swung my leg back around in a fake, then landed and kicked out hard with my other foot, landin a good strong blow to the mans midsection.

He looked at me fearfully, then ran towards the door, grabbing his gun as he went. He flew up the door and sprinted into the yard. I ran to the door and saw no one. I pulled the door closed and locked it, frowning. Then the shock started. I sank to the floor, shaking and sobbing silently. The man who had killed my parents had been in my house, and had almost killed me!

Why couldn't I have a normal life?

I sat there for a while longer, pulling myself together. I took a deep breath and was about to get up off the floor as I realized I was sitting on something hard. I lifted my butt of the ground and reached under myself, grabbing something that felt like string. I pulled it in front of my face to look at and saw that it was a bracelet with a broken latch. The bracelet itself was made of thick sailors roped that had been braided together. There were 2 black strands and a blue strand. I was about to slip it on when I something caught my eye on the underside of the bracelet. There were 3 words sewn into the bracelet in a neat script. Upon closer inspection, I realized the white thread spelled out a name, Levi Dillon Carter.

Something clicked then. I grabbed the bracelet and headed to my Mac, realizing I had a lot of work ahead of me.

________________

yay. Chaper 9!!!sorry its so short but I really wanted to get something up because I hate making you guys wait for an upload. So here it is!!

It sucks, I know, but The next chapter will be better and longer, I promise!

addi<3

ps. Check out my new story if you would!!!!!