Chapter 40

Alanna-

Much to my dismay, as I peered apprehensively around the prison cell style room I was in, I noticed Zayn wasn’t the only familiar face.  Next to him was Harry, Louis, Finn and Doniya; the fact that Finn was here had me pleading mentally with Demetri in a vain attempt at gaining some act of compassion which I did not receive.

There was one other person in the room. His hands and feet were bound to the walls by ropes, both of which were bleeding heavily, and as his eyes connected coincidentally with mine they were almost expectant- as though he thought, after everything he had done, that I would help him.

There was no chance in hell I was helping that rapist bastard.

However, I noticed one significant person was absent from the crowded room. Daniel was nowhere to be seen. If I was an outsider I would have laughed at how ridiculous this was, my execution was being held and he didn’t even bother to show up. How inconsiderate. His absence gave me a sense of ease, at least for the moment, as I knew Demetri would want him to present for my death.

Quickly, I reconnected my eyes with Zayn’s. His big, round hazel eyes peered down to the knife held at my throat and his adams apple bobbed. I tried my best to give him a reassuring smile, but it came across as more of a grimace; instead I decided to try and convey all the emotion I felt for him with my eyes and by the tiny little half smile that came across his angelic face, I figured he understood.

A soft clink of the door closing was heard. Demetri pressed the knife further into my throat; I didn’t even have to look up to know what or rather who had caused that reaction out of him.

“Daniel,” Demetri breathed.

I finally turned my eyes to the man, or monster, of the moment.

His long, confident strides held everyone’s attention. He wore a black suit, which contrasted with his tanned skin perfectly, and exaggerated his importance.  My eyes were drawn to his brown ones and as soon as they connected I was flooded with past memories. However those past memories were good and bad, but I soon concluded that the bad outweighed the good drastically. Even after all these years he still held an air of mysteriousness which seemed to stick to him like a bug.

He glanced towards Adrian’s bleeding hands and feet with a smirk before he looked back at me.

“Quite fitting don’t you think?” I didn’t answer him, fearing any form of reaction which could cost someone’s life.  “He held you down with his hands, kicked you with his feet, so I prohibited him from ever doing that again. Should have done that a long time ago.”

“We are not here to talk about him.” Demetri stated from above me anger rising in his voice.

“For once in our lives it appears we are not.”  Daniel looked down to me. “Just drop the knife Demetri, don’t tell me that we spent a good part of our lives protecting her just to kill her.”

I couldn’t help the scoff that escaped my lips. He quirked an eyebrow at me and I felt the knife around my throat relax ever so slightly.

“Something to say?” Daniel asked, humour apparent in his tone.

I wanted so much to explain the hatred I felt for him, but the look in Zayn’s eyes were telling me to shut up and for once I took his advice.

“Nothing at all.” My voice was a monotone.

“I’m sure you don’t,” He murmured stepping closer to me, an action to which Zayn visibly stiffened at. “Life and death situations really don’t faze you do they Alanna? You just walk out of them every single time and who do you think makes that happen?”