Chapter 21

Hey, guys! For all the readers who read my book before it was taken down, I changed a small part of the story. I would read Chapter 19 before this one or you'll be slightly confused.  Enjoy ☺️

Matteo's POV

I can't believe I messed up. Again. I acted so impulsively and jumped to the most judgmental conclusion without even considering any other possibility. Why didn't I think that Ava might have been raped? What made me slut shame my little sister over something she had no control over?

Ava was just a child who had been hurt in unimaginable ways, and I was doing nothing but adding to her trauma. My brothers were raised to respect everyone equally, no matter their race, gender, or sexual orientation. Mom and Dad would be so disappointed in me. I wouldn't even be able to show our face to them if they were still with us.

I think deep down I knew that Ava's pregnancy was not a result of an act of consent, but I couldn't believe that when I first saw the positive pregnancy test. It was so much easier for me to assume that my little sister had willingly engaged in sexual activity than it was to admit that my brothers and I had failed Ava once again. It was another blow to my family knowing how much pain Ava had been subjected to since Mom had died.

I regretted every single horrible word I had called Ava as I lay in my room with silent tears falling down my cheeks. I should have been comforting my sister instead of hurling insults at her left and right. Even if I failed to see that she had been raped, this pregnancy must have scared Ava. She is only fourteen-years-old and pregnant. The decision to keep the baby is a difficult one, and as her brother, I should be supporting her every step of the way.

There was no way she would forgive this act of betrayal especially after how I had already apologized for committing the same crime just a few weeks ago. Not a day will go by when I don't try to gain Ava's forgiveness. I might die before I earn it, but that's the price I will pay for speaking without an ounce of compassion in my voice.

And then there was Teddy, my baby brother. He looked up to Ava so much and would do anything to protect her. Teddy was just an innocent kid and didn't deserve to hear any of the hateful things I had said. The words he had spoken to protect Ava were one hundred percent true. I had crossed a line today, and there was no going back.

I dreaded the moment that I would have to show my face to the rest of my brothers. The anger they held towards me was visible in their eyes, especially in Alessandro's. As the oldest, he felt the most guilt for what Ava and Teddy had gone through living with Damon. I was only adding more to my youngest siblings' pain, and I wasn't sure if Alessandro would ever forgive me for what I had done.

I was brought out of my thoughts by the sound of my door crashing against the wall. Emilio stormed into my room, pulled me up by the scruff of my shirt, and slammed me against the wall. "What the fuck were you thinking, calling Ava all of those derogatory words? Was your brain not working or did you just want to be an asshole?" he lashed out. "When we made those promises not even two months ago, I meant it, but it's obvious that you didn't. I suggest you stay away from my sister until you learn to have some respect for her. You may be my twin, but I made a promise to protect my little brother and sister, and I intend to keep it."

There were no words I could say that would calm my brother's anger, not that I wanted to. Emilio had every reason to be disgusted by my behavior, and who was I to prove him wrong. Not able to find the words in me, I hung my head low in shame as Emilio released his hands from my shirt collar.

"You need to find a way to fix this. That is if Ava wants you to fix this," Emilio mumbled. "You already broke a promise, and I doubt she'll trust you as easily as she did the first time."