Welcome to California

June 3, 2021

I watched as my dad unloaded all of the suitcases out of the trunk, setting them on the sidewalk one by one. I couldn't stop thinking about how much I already missed Texas and how I wouldn't see any of my friends till school started back up again. I was especially upset that I wouldn't be seeing my boyfriend Jake, but we agreed to FaceTime as much as we could.

My dad and I are staying in California for the summer with Grandma Dina since Grandpa Eddy had just passed from cancer two months ago. Gran was at peace with the fact that he was in a better place now, so she never let it stop her from being happy. My dad had warned me before we left that it was a touchy subject for her though, and that I probably should try my best to avoid bringing it up.

"A little help would be nice." said dad after setting down a large brown suitcase.

"Nah, I'd rather watch you do it." I said staring at the concrete ground beneath me.

"Look," dad said as he knelt on the sidewalk next to me. "I know you'd rather be back in Texas with all of your friends, but your grandma needs us."

"I know." I said in a tiredly, "i was just really looking forward to the summer season."

He set a hand on my shoulder which made me look up at him.

"There's always next year," he smiled.

Before I could argue with that, I heard a door close behind me and quickly turned to see Grandma Dina walking down the steps of the house with a big smile across her face. She was short, about 5'4. She had curly light grey hair that stopped at her shoulders and her wrinkled skin was pale as snow. She walked with a limp but trust me she could still move pretty quickly.

"Well if it isn't my little pumpkin!" Said Gran with a smile.

Gran has called me Pumpkin ever since I could remember. I don't exactly know why she calls me this, but I'm guessing it's because I have red hair and freckles on my nose and cheeks.

"Hey Gran!" I said as I stood up to hug her.

"Oh! Danny my son. How have you been? I've missed you so much." Said Gran tightly hugging dad.

"Hey ma. We've missed you too." Said dad returning the hug.

She let go and looked at my dad.

"You two better hurry up and get your stuff inside." Said Gran in a bossed. "The sun is going down and I just baked cookies. Figured y'all would be hungry from the long trip here."

As soon as I heard Gran say "baked" my whole body filled with joy. Grandma Dina was one of the best bakers ever. Now I know that's what everyone says about their grandma, but Grandma Dina's baking was absolutely amazing. She owns her own bakery right next to Vincent's Drug store. She's run it ever since my dad was a little kid. Everyone in town loves Gran up at the Bakery, and I don't blame them.

Dad and I brought in all the suitcases until there was just one bag left out by the car. I went to get it since it was mine. As I walked back outside I noticed two boys walking in the street. They were both carrying baseball gloves but only one of them had a bat. One boy was tall and looked around my age with black hair and olive skin. He had on black jeans with a white t-shirt and an unbuttoned baseball jersey over it. The other boy was much shorter. He had blonde hair and was dressed a lot nicer than the taller boy. As they got closer the blonde boy waved goodbye to his friend and ran to his house which was about 5 away from Grandma Dina's house. The taller boy waved back then stopped at the house across the street from me. As I picked up my bag the boy looked over at me. I noticed his lips curving into a small smile so I smiled back, then threw the bag over my shoulder and walked back inside.