v. portkeys

CHAPTER FIVE ─── portkeys 

𝕿he Dark Mark stared down at them, twisting and writhing in the dark sky. Madge didn't know why, but one part of her expected it to hiss or something, yet it didn't. It just watched and curled, and that made it all the more terrifying.

Faintly, she was aware of Charlie helping her to stand, but her knees gave out, and she fell once more, terror building in her. She may be sixteen, almost seventeen, but all she wanted right now was her mum and dad. 

"Madge." Charlie's voice sounded louder as he held her tightly. He shook her shoulders once more, as Madge's eyes finally focused on him. Her hands trembled, the adrenaline not having worn off, but she managed to nod as best she could. "Hey, you're alright. We're alright, see?"

Charlie pulled her prone form off the floor like she weighed nothing, his hands tentatively hovering near her waist as he set her down.

"Are you alright to apparate?" He asked, as Madge swayed from side to side, still staring at the Dark Mark. Charlie, who was terrified for his siblings and dad, didn't seem to get angry at her lack of response, instead, moving to block the Dark Mark from her vision. Soon, she could not see the night sky, just auburn hair, bright eyes and a nervous grin. "How's your ankle? We can wait for a couple more minutes or go now. Up to you."

"I-" Madge struggled to find her voice, becoming aware that it was freezing and they were in the middle of the forest. "Yeah, sorry, I'm fine. No pain."

"No need to apologise." Charlie grinned. "I'm glad you're alright. Want to go now?"

"Sure." Madge hooked her arm through Charlie's, holding on tightly and screwing her eyes closed as Charlie did one final check and apparated away. The twisting and turning of apparating pulled at her stomach, and she clutched onto Charlie's hand even tighter to try and ground herself.

It finally came to a stop, as Madge took a deep breath of cold air and tried to regain her balance. Charlie caught her quickly, rubbing his hand up and down her back as a hill came into view.

"You're alright." Charlie soothed, before grinning. "You know, when I first apparated, I landed on an elderly muggle woman. Gave her quite a fright."

"You did what?" That drew Madge's focus away as she stared up at the taller man. "Wh-I have questions."

"I don't have answers." Charlie replied, leading her up the hill, towards where their portkey had been. "One minute, Hogwart's hall, next minute, elderly lady's lap."