i. the burrows

CHAPTER ONE ─── the burrows 

CHAPTER ONE ─── ❛ the burrows ❜

𝔈merald green flames swirled around Madge Findley's body as she was tugged through the Floo network at an impossible speed. They curled around her, licking at her clothes and exposed skin, yet not hurting her at all. When the teenager next opened her eyes, it was to a familiar living room, her trunk and duffel bag next to her and soot swirling around in the air.

Her nose itched, before she sneezed loudly as a cloud of ash came flying off of her. Cautiously, Madge stepped onto the mat ahead of the fire, looking around in worry that something was going to come flying at her. She had received a worrying letter from her best friend that had warned her that his twin brother was hoping to prank her as soon as she arrived.

Thus, her goal was to find the elder twin.

There was a shuffling sound from the corner of the room, causing Madge to spin on her heels and pull the toy gun from her pocket. She had brought it from the toy store in her town, specifically for this occasion. Lining up, Madge shot the moving object that was nearly completely hidden by the curtain, as she heard Fred begin to curse viciously. A laugh escaped her lips as Fred appeared.

"Merlin's bears, woman!" He cursed, rubbing his forehead as Madge continued to laugh at him, "and they say that George and I are the ones to watch out for."

Fred was the oldest of the infamous Weasley twins. The pair shared the same bright red hair, freckled covering their face, and wide blue eyes though there were slight differences. For example, George was slightly taller than his brother and Fred had a scar under his chin from where he'd fallen face first off of a broom and onto a gnome. He had yet to live that story down.

"You taught me everything I know, so blame past you." Madge replied, before grinning and throwing her arms around one of her oldest friends. "Hi Freddie."

"Midge." She rolled her eyes at the nickname, trying to pull away as Fred picked her up and spun her.

"Where's your doppelganger?"

"Present and accounted for." George appeared behind Fred, brushing past his older brother to wrap his arms around the small girl. "Midge."

"Georgie." The man rolled his eyes at her name, before pulling away to stare up at the red mark that was now appearing in the centre of Fred's forehead. "What do you think?"

"Impressive aim." George nodded appreciatively. "Glad I opted out of trying to prank you."

"And for that, I'm forever grateful." Madge replied with a smile. "I go paintballing every summer with my mum, so this was fun. We should do it again."