backstage II

Mina's POV

"You were sooo cool!" I exclaimed with relief as I hugged Namjoon and Jin. One by one, I congratulated them on a flawless performance with no off-key notes and a completely mesmerised audience. Junkook and Jimin meanwhile rushed to the drinks bar and worked on their hydration levels while Taehyung called his parents. Suga was already soundly asleep. I just don't know how the boy does it. 

"And you! Where did you learn to dance like that!" I laughed at Hoseok before squeezing his sweaty body against me. "Hobi-ah~ I had so much fun!" I had already tuned out the situation earlier, it was just stupid of me to think of a motivational cry like that, lol. Maybe I shouldn't dress up that much if Hoseok need's to concentrate.

"Haha, thanks!" he grinned. "And you still look great, jagi~!" He twirled me around so much that I almost smacked my ponytail into Namjoon's face. I was so happy to have him so close to me and that finally, the tension had dropped. It took some time until I let go off him.

Somehow, though, Hobi didn't feel quite in the mood to celebrate. As he laughed, his eyes seemed blank and his head busy, as if the situation was transparent to him. The kiss I received during our embrace was honest, but brief and dry. Did something happen? 

"Oh, can you stay here? I'll be right back, my love." Hoseok huffed out aprubtly before stepping through the door and went out. Puzzled, I looked after him. Despite his grin..his face was kind of...gloomy?

"Maybe leave him for now," Namjoon said as I leaned to follow him. "Hobi is always very self-critical and I guess for him, not everything went as he expected it. The show isn't exactly over yet either- but the most important part is done." 

Oh right, there's also an award to be won, I'd completely forgotten about that. I nodded silently. A bit disillusioned too, because I couldn't really share my pent-up euphoria right now. 

However, Namjoon is right, I shouldn't forget that all this is not just fun, but work and pressure. A lot depends on the boys and Big Hit thinks highly of them. It's just that when you watch them on stage, you forget for a moment how much work is behind all of this and let yourself be overwhelmed by the beauty of their performance.

I pushed the worrying thoughts out of my head and sat down on the couch next to the sleeping Yoongi, took some things out of my backpack that was stored in the backstage area together with the boys' things and sorted them in front of me, ready to work. Jin offered me some cupcakes, which I gratefully accepted. Something delicious with fruit and cream was inside of them. The room had somehow become quiet. Except for Jimin's and Kookie's chewing noises, Yoongi's soft snoring and the small flat-screen TV mounted on the wall, which was transmitting the live broadcast, nothing could be heard.

"I didn't know our catering also provided cupcakes," I broke the silence.
"It doesn't", Jin grinned. "MonstaX's does."
I had to laugh. 

"Do they have any left?" I grabbed another, thinking of Jin hunting for food. Jin just pointed to a stack of cupcakes next to the dressing chairs. "Oh, I see." was all I said and then smirked. Probably they don't. 

We continued to eat cupcakes in silence while the performances rolled across the TV. 

And there I sat in my Dior dress, surrounded by exhausted, taciturn men, my runaway boyfriend and my thick diary, overflowing with slipped-in notes and sure to weigh twice as much because of the ink in it. Now that the tension before the performance was over, everyone was concentrating only on that award, whose winner would be announced at least two hours later. I kept taking sips of green tea, that with its bitter taste reminded me of my first weeks in Korea. I had also completely forgotten to watch Moonbin perform. I'm sure I can search for a replay online, the camera work is usually better than my eyes can see.