49 | warning shot

49 | warning shot

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

After revealing everything to Monique, she was quiet, up until Gregory came to check on her. The frown that had been permanently embedded on her face turned upside down at the sight of the man that's like a father to her.

It hurt, but I can't say I didn't deserve it.

I lied to her, multiple times over, and she was caught in the middle of it without a safety cushion.

I was supposed to be her safety cushion and I failed her.

Yeah, that seems to be a usual for me these days.

My silent thoughts are interrupted by the sound of Monique clearing her throat. Gregory had already come and gone, having to call his daughters in America, and now Monique's frown has returned and her gaze is anywhere but me.

"Mo..." I try, urging myself to say something that could make her smile. She clenched her jaw and looks down, fiddling with her thumbs, "What can I do to make this better?"

She shakes her head and gnaws on her bottom lip. I can tell she wants to say something, but is going to hold back on that. Fuck.

"Please." I push, softly.

She huffs and finally meets my eyes, "Nothing, Matteo. I got shot, I'm alive. Santiago got what he wanted which was to hurt me. I'm sure you'll do something drastic and we'll go through the motions of me being scared for your life and telling you not to do anything stupid, but then you'll do it anyway, because, despite you lying to me over and over, you love me." She sighs, "And because I love you, there's not much I can do but forgive you."

Running a hand through my hair, I blink and bow my head. "Do you trust me?"

She pulls at an expelled sheet thread and squints. She's quiet. I know her answer.

Rising from my seat, I lean forward and kiss her forehead before turning to leave.

"Where are you going?" She calls out, her voice still shaky.

I send her a small farewell smile, "To do something stupid, princesa."

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

"Matteo, what can we do for you?" The welcoming voice from my 'uncle' greets me as I take a seat on a bench outside. I didn't want to be too far from Monique should anything happen, especially since the doctor said that she's still at risk for ripping her stitches and bleeding out.

My uncle could be far from that. He is the head of the Sombra Mafia, Hazel De León, and a man who holds honor and loyalty close to his heart. My father has been loyal to him for the better part of thirty years so it's no surprise he's jumping at the chance to help his 'nephew'.

I shake his hand swiftly before he takes a seat beside me. After we get through simple greetings considering we haven't seen each other in a while, we start talking business.

"I heard about tu mujer." He says, "Lo siento, mi amigo."

"Why didn't he kill her?" The question has lingered on my mind for some time now, "He shot her then killed himself before checking to see if she was dead."

Hazel furrows his brows, "He was a coward, Matteo. He didn't want to face what we would've done to him."

"It's not just that..." I trail off, "He wanted her to survive. A man like that doesn't miss."

"Why do you think he missed on purpose?" Hazel questions.

Lifting my head, I poke my tongue along the inside of my cheek, thoughts rushing through my mind nonstop.

"It was a warning shot." I say in realization. "He was declaring war."

"Well," Hazel chuckles menacingly, "If it's war he wants, it's war he'll get."

im sorry this is so short - my brain ain't working and im gonna try to sneak a nap in before my classes start

yo i got my braces tightened this morning and these shits hurt like a mf

also if what happened this morning isn't a clear sign that jamaicans are nosy then idk what is -

so im sitting in the wait area of the dentist, eavesdropping on this guy who was cussing out one of the dental techs because his daughter needed to wear retainers (which he would know if he did his research)

so i went back to my dad in the car and was like "yeah, so i was fasting and this guy was cussing and blah blah blah"

and i get to the point where i was trying to recall what he was arguing about specifically and my dad - who i expected to be like "yo, don't listen people business" was like

"that's all you heard?"

LMFAOAOAOAOAOAOAOA BRO

in other news - i feel like i need to go back to in-person school - i forgot how to talk to people 😭 and that's gon start showing in my dialogue