Part 6

"I'll help you get her."

Logan turned around to see Charles.

"Not for any of your future shite, but for her." he continued.

Logan shrugged. "Fair enough."

Charles pointed a finger at Logan. "But I'll tell you this. You don't know Erik. That man is a monster. A murderer. You think you can convice Raven to change? To come home? That's splendid. But what makes you thibk you can change him?"

Logan smiled. 

"Because you and Erik sent me back together."

===========

"The room they're holding him in was built during the Second World War," Hank said as he spread out the blueprints. "When there was a shortage of steel. So the foundation is pure concrete and sand. No metal."

"He's being held a hundred floors beneath the most heavily guarded building the planet." Charles added.

"Why is he in there?" Logan asked, his fingers tracing the lines on the paper.

A burst of laughter erupted from Charles.  "What, he forgot to mention?"

Logan looked to Hank for information.

"Uh, JFK." he told him.

Now that he'd never been told. "He killed-?!"

Charles interrupted. "What else explains a bullet miraculously curving through the air? Erik's always had a way with guns. Are you sure you want to carry on with this?"

"This is your plan, not mine." Logan mused.

"We don't have any resources to get us in." Hank said, looking glum.

"Or out." Charles reasoned. "It's just me and Hank."

A look of epiphany came across Logan's face.

"I know a guy." he chuckled. "Yeah, he'd be a young man now. Grew up outside of D.C. He could get into anywhere. I just don't know how the hell we're gonna find him."

Hank looked down at Charles. "Is Cerebro of the question?"

Charles's face darkened. Hank took a deep breath and turned to Logan.

"We have a phonebook."

Logan rubbed his hands. "Great, the name should be easy to find. It's Maximoff."

"Maxi-what?" Charles asked.

"Maximoff. Two f's." Logan said holding up two fingers.

Hank flipped through the book. "Found it. Only Maximoff in the entire book." He wrote down the address and shut the book. "Let's go."

============

Logan was sitting in the back seat puffing at his cigar contentedly, blowing the smoke out the window. He watched as it quickly whipped out of sight.

Hank braked gently at a red light. Charles, who was sitting next to Logan wrinkled his nose at the cigar.

"Can you put out that fucking thing?" he growled, after poking his head out for fresh air for the ninth time.

"Yeah sure." Logan stumped it out on his hand. "I thought you'd be alright with it, if not then grateful."

"What do you mean by that?" Charles asked, staring at the healing hand.

"Why, didn't you used to smoke? Or is that in the future?" Logan flicked it out the window.

"No, I used to. I don't anymore though." he rested his head back. "Now if you don't mind, I'm going to get some sleep. Not that I give a shit."

Logan rolled his eyes and went back to looking out the window. The light turned green and the scenery once again started to whiz by. It was so peaceful. So different from the chaos he'd been through.

===========

Date: Sunday, 28 Feb, 2021

Word count : 553

Please vote and comment.

C. Riverbend