Part 2

Flashback

The Sentinels had specifically targeted her on that day. Everyone fought back in a circle, much to her frustration. All she was allowed to do was create portals to help the others. There had been rumors that they were using the same serum that was used during the battle they now called The Last Stand.

When finally the last one had been taken down everyone breathed a sigh.

Until Kitty had screamed his name.

Logan could hear his heart thumping in his ears as he ran as fast as he could, jumping over bits of rubble. And it seemed to stop beating when he saw the blood.

It was slowly seeping out, blossoming into the much dreaded crimson mark. Kitty looked at him, fear clearly showing in her eyes as she faced her. She was looking at her blood on her fingers.

He couldn't breath as he watched her fall to the ground. His legs moved of their own accord. The voice that came out of his mouth didn't sound like his.

"Kate. KATE!"  he yelled.

A trickle of blood slipped out from the corner of her mouth. Gently he propped her up, cradling her in his arms. Erik came and kneeled beside him. Carefully he pulled out a large bullet. She cried out in pain.

"Kate, Honey, you're going to be alright." Logan whispered into her hair. "It's just going to hurt for awhile. She's going to be alright, right?" he asked Erik.

He expected him to nod, to agree, to tell him that she'd just gain another mutation. Instead Erik was looking at the bullet. He crushed it in his hand easily. But when he looked up there were tears in his eyes.

"The bullet was hollowed out. There was a serum in it. Something new...something worse"  Erik's tears spilled over. "Lieb, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

She smiled at him and patted his hand. "It's okay. It's not your fault Erik. You couldn't have seen it coming." Erik nodded. He got up onto his feet and walked away.

Logan stared at the crumpled bullet, his mind spinning from the fact.

"Logan, look at me. James." Kate put her hand under his chin gently forcing him to look at her. She said softly, "I have to go."

"I thought it was going to be you and me, forever. That I would never be alone again. Don't leave me please." He begged her. "Please. I don't want to be alone. I don't want to live without you."

"I don't want to go too." she started to cry. "Just promise me you won't do anything stupid. You only get to do that with me."

He nodded as tears started to well up in his eyes. She held tight to his hand as she began to shake uncontrollably.

"L-Logan? I'm cold. And scared. I'm so scared Logan." She sobbed. She sounded like a child begging for reassurance and comfort. She coughed as blood dribbled out of her mouth. "Logan, I love you."

"I love you too." he answered, trying to keep his voice clear so she could hear him properly. She smiled at him. She touched his face and said-

"Logan."

He felt her body go limp in his arms, her head falling back slightly. Her eyes were open and staring and for the first and last time, the colors in her irises stopped moving. A shadow of a smile was still on her lips.

Logan pulled her close, rocking her back and forth in his arms, howling in pain. But no matter how much he begged and called her name, she wouldn't come back.

============

Everyone looked up as the door pushed open. Logan stood in the doorway and though he spoke to everyone his eyes were only looking at Charles.
.
.
.
.
"I'm ready."

==========

Date - Friday, 6 February, 2021
Word count - 656

Please vote and comment

Your writer,

C. Riverbend