six

parties were the regular thing around here, and since i started three months ago, i've been at them all.

"hey james, jimmy's having another party this weekend, you comin'?" niall asked, grabbing his helmet from his bag beside me.

"of course! you'd swear his parents are never home," i laugh.

"they aren't," niall agreed.

we stepped out of the changing room and joined the rest of the team on the pitch. i joined the team not long after my first day, apparently i had a good throw or something, so they made me the quarter back, just like that. i swear god's been looking straight down on me.

"ok ladies, get on the helmets and start your laps, i need you nice and tired before we start training," the coach, mr. parker, blew his whistle, signalling us to start.

after our session, we headed to the showers. i hated to be that guy, but they were the best part in my opinion.

"i'm heading to the mall after to grab a milkshake with heather, you want in?" niall asked, scrubbing his hair with shampoo.

"actually i have an essay due for ms. norton, maybe another time?" i shrug.

"yeah no worries," he smiled back, clapping me on the back.

after i left niall at the gym, i headed home.

"hey honey, how was training?" my mum smiled at me, as soon as i walked in the door.

"it was good, difficult, but good," i replied collapsing onto the couch in the living room, resting my feet on the coffee table.

"hey hey, you know the rules," she scolds, slapping me feet off the table.

"your dad's still at work, so i wanted to take the time and talk to you," she sits beside me on the couch.

"yeah, what about?" i ask, eyebrows furrowed.

"i just wanted to know how you're getting on?"

"good yeah," i reply, nonchalantly.

"liam," she looks at me, urging me on. i know what she means.

"mum i promise you. no one is like how they were at brookeburn. ridgehill is completely different. they are kind, polite, they actually like me! no one knows the old me, it's great! i'm actually cool for once!" i ramble, a smile growing on my face.

"that's great honey, i know you've been out socialising a lot. just don't forget that not everyone is as they seem," she warns me, pulling me in a for a hug.

"i know mum, i know," i assure her, my voice muffled into her shoulder.

~•~

friday rolls in quickly and welcomed by all. everyone's hyped for jimmy's tonight, including me.

"i'll pick you up at seven, yeah?" harry tells me, taking a couple books out of his locker.

"yeah, don't forget! i don't want to have to walk again," i roll my eyes, remembering a couple weeks ago.

"oh shush, that was one time," he defends, holding up his hands.

"whatever," i laugh, closing my locker. "see you then," i wave and walk out, meeting niall at his car.

i slide in to the back seat, heather in the passenger and niall in the driver's seat. they are leaned over the diving part, playing tonsil tennis.

"hello? i'd like to go home?" i remind the couple. they pull apart with a loud smack.

"oh sorry mate, we got bored waitin' for ya," niall sheepishly smiles at me. heather is giving me a death glare but i look at the window.

when i arrive home, i let my mum and dad know i'll be out till late. i run up stairs and take a quick shower, and shave. i slip on a dark grey t shirt, some tan chinos and my white converse. i gel up my recently cut hair and take a quick look at my whole appearance. not too bad, payne, not too bad.

the doorbell rings soon later and i say a quick goodbye to my parents, and i'm out the door.