eight

"well, em," he pauses, and looks me directly in the eye, "it's me,"

every single bottle in my hands smash on the ground one by one.

i swallow hard. he's still looking at me, studying my face.

"you- you're drunk," i mumble, trying to come up with some explanation for his sudden honesty.

"james! i'm not drunk! well i am a little, but i'm being serious!" he jumps off the counter, crushing the broken glass on the floor under his feet. he wraps his hands around my biceps, causing me to look into his eyes. my knees are going weak at the contact and i feel like i could collapse at any moment. is this a dream? my crush just admitted he likes me!

these past three months of staring longingly after him and observing his actions and body language during lunch time. i knew he smoked, i could smell the smoke off him right this second. it was obvious he drank heavily. i knew he was considered a bad influence, i heard all the stories of him and other girls, and boys too. and i couldn't help but want him even more.

he was still staring deeply into my eyes, willing me to answer. he slowly started leaning in, his eyes darting from my lips to my eyes in split seconds. he slowly licked his lips and i could feel his breath fanning on my face. our lips were mere centimetres away from each others-

"james! where are- oh," i could louis behind me, causing me to jump back in fright. i quickly swivelled around to face him. his eyes went from zayn, to me, to the smashed bottles on the floor back to me.

"will i go? or...," he trailed off, pointing back to the room behind him.

"no! i'm just leaving now i just have to grab the bottles like you asked!" i laughed nervously, desperately grabbing six bottles and pushing louis back into the room. i could feel zayn's eyes burning into the back of my head but i forced myself not to turn around.

"ah there you are! what happened?" harry asked, taking two of the bottles out of my hands and handing one to jo.

"oh um, there was no bottles left so i had to wait and get j to go the garage and grab more," i lied, setting the rest pf the bottles on the small table and grabbing one for myself, cracking it open. i took a long gulp, much to the surprise of the others.

"james is partying tonight lads!" niall laughed, clinking his bottle with the rest of them. i usually was never one ot drink too much, but after the situation i the kitchen, i needed to down as much alcohol as i could to try and take my mind off it.

about three or four bottles later, everyone is in different stages of being drunk. louis is rambling on about peanuts, excessively shoving a packet in his mouth and battering on about the different flavours and telling god awful jokes about them. niall and heather are about twenty seconds of making out and grinding on each other from doing it beside me on the couch. after a drug induced dare, harry and jo haven't returned from the closet in the corner of the room. i'm basically on my own listening to all of louis muttering.

"hey hey, where do the peanuts go for a drink?" he asks, pausing for and answer. i simply shrug, knowing he'll tell me the answer anyway. "the snack bar!" He laughs, rolling off the couch. "iam just too good!"

i simply roll my eyes and take another sip from my beer. My eye catches someone at the the door. i swallow a gulp of the alcohol and immediately avert my eyes to the ground (which is covered in peanuts). i watch the black boots walk over to me and stop right in front of me.

"heyyyy zayn!" louis slurs from the ground beside me, seemingly excited to see him.

"hey louis," zayn replies, taking a seat beside me on the couch. his leg brushes mine and i can feel the electricity. "mind if i stay for a bit?"

"of- of course! j-james would love you t-to!" louis hiccups, i feel my cheeks redden as zayn bores his eyes into the side of my head at louis' words.

as louis and zayn talk about random things that pop into mind, i quietly sip my beer. at this stage, i feel my mind begin to wander and the most illogical things seem to make sense. like kissing zayn.

"james! talk to meeee," louis whines shaking my knee. i look at the two of them. zayn's soft brown eyes make contact with mine and i feel time begin to speed up. probably an after effect of alcohol.

"ugh the sexual tension is just radiating off the two of you!" louis suddenly exclaims causing us both to quickly cough and look away.

"just kiss already!" a distant voice shouts. it's niall. where did he come from?

"kiss!" some one else cheers. suddenly i can hear choruses of people shouting at us to kiss. i could have sworn there was only five people here. my head swims with all the different voices urging us to kiss. everything is moving so fast. i can feel my heart racing.

i'm blinking rapidly trying to make sense of it all and i'm searching for help. i quickly glance around me. i'm seeing double. everyone seems to be crowded around me yelling at me. thoughts are clouding my head. i need a way out.

my eyes land on zayn. he seems to be a bit away but i feel if i reach for him everything will stop. my arms feel heavy when i try to lift them but i keep pulling and urging myself on. like a trapped spring, my arms fly up around zayn's neck.

i pull myself towards him. time is slowing and i'm leaning in.

before louis could even fathom another peanut joke, my lips landed on zayn's.