Ch.37 Focus on moving forwards

Percy's P.O.V

The complete and utter shock hidden in Nico's voice made me freeze in my tracks. I quickly racked my brain, trying to think of anything in my room that would cause this kind of reaction but came up with nothing.

I slowly turned around, but I wasn't prepared to see Nico holding a small black book. "Uh..."

"How'd you get this? I thought I lost it when I was in the underworld." Nico gently flipped the book open.

"It was in your bathroom, I came across it when I was trying to find you a towel." I explained.

Nico replied with a slight nod of his head, but I could tell he wasn't focusing on what I had said. I watched his eyes drink up the thoughts of his former self, his nose scrunching up at certain parts.

"Nico?" I asked, walking over to him. "I just want you to know, you don't have to think that way anymore. If you ever feel yourself slipping back down that dark path of sadness, let me know and I'll be there for you. I think that everyone was born for a reason, and although we may not know right now what the reason is, it's there. You just have to smile and keep your head up high. Things might not always go the way you planned, but as long as you keep moving forward, it will all work out in the end."

Nico looked up at me through watery eyes. "How did I ever get such a supportive boyfriend?"

"The real question is: how did I get such a beautiful boyfriend?"

Nico smiled as a few tears broke free, only to be immediately dragged down by gravity. "Such a sap."

"But I'm your sap." I replied.

"With the amount of cheesy lines you're sprouting, we could bake a pizza." Nico wiped his eyes.

"Oh gods, now I want Pizza!" I pouted as I took the black book from Nico's hands and put it back on my dresser. "What do you want to do with it?"

Nico's gaze shifted off me towards the book. "I'm not sure..."

"It's ultimately up to you, but it's not good to dwell on the past."

"Alright." Nico picked up the book. "I know what I want to do with it, but we're going to have to take a little trip."

I raised my eyebrow as Nico slipped on one of my hoodies. "Where are we going?"

"Outside, so put on something warm." Nico replied.

I shrugged on a jacket before walking towards the door. "After you." I gestured to the outside, like the chivalrous boyfriend I am.

"Why thank you kind sir!" Nico played along, practically floating out the door. The second I closed the door behind me, my hand was being grabbed. I smiled as Nico's slender fingers intertwined with mine as we made our way to wherever Nico planned on taking us.

"Perce?" Nico asked after a few minutes of silence. "I just wanted to say thank you. You go around like this big ball of happiness all the time, but I don't think you realize the effect you have on people. For you, saying hello is just being polite, but to people like me, that little hello can really make that person's day. Before I really got to know you, I saw you as this hero figure; someone so perfect they seem more like a mythical creature than a human. But then I got to know you, and all those little gestures that you did meant that much more. I guess what I'm trying to say is: thank you for being you."

I blinked a few times, trying to process everything. "You know, you always make it seem like I was the amazing one, but take a look at yourself. You went from barely leaving your cabin, to barely being in your cabin. You completely turned your life around and yet you make me the hero. If anyone's a hero here, it's you."