#3 Unforgivable Curses

Alastor Moody was known to be the greatest Dark Wizard hunter in the history and probably the most terrifying man I ever met as a teacher in my life.

Since I sat in the classroom, eyed by multiple glasses hanging around the board in front, my pulse didn't seem to settle down. Especially after our new professor entered down the stairs.

"Alastor Moody, Ex Auror, ministry malcontent and your new defense against the dark arts teacher", the man scribbled down his last name on the board aggressively. "I'm here because Dumbledore asked me to. End of the story, goodbye, the end. Any questions?"

If I wanted to, I could cut through the tension in the room. No one dared to raise their hands or voices. Not even Draco Malfoy, the platinum-blonde self-called superior of Slytherin, dared to mumble a comment at the professor. And that was truly a turning point.

"When it comes to the dark arts I believe in a practical approach. But first, which of you can tell me how many Unforgivable Curses there are?", the man growled, sending a shiver down my spine.

The dark-haired Gryffindor girl, I didn't have the chance to talk to since the start of the term, spoke without raising her hand.

"Three, sir", Hermione's voice was shaky but as always safe with her words. "They are so named because they are unforgivable. To use of a single one of them will –"

"Will earn you a one-way ticket to Azkaban, correct!", Moody cut her off as he continued to scribble down the board. "The ministry says you're too young to see what these curses do. I say different. You need to know what you're up against. You need to be prepared."

I shot Maribel a knowing look, but couldn't ignore the unease settling me of the edge.

"Jez, relax", Blaise giggled quietly from the table beneath ours. "He's brilliant and he's working with your dad probably."

Before I could return my answer, Moody whipped his body around and launched the chalk he was writing with at the boy to my left side, who quickly ducked away to not get hit right in the face.

"And I can hear across classrooms, Mr. Zabini. I think Miss Fox will be please to not get disturbed to follow my lesson." His glass eye was pinned on Blaise, who didn't seem too impressed with the man but shot me a knowingly look once the professor continued.

"So which curse shall we see first?", the man said with a quiet voice right before he called Ron Weasleys' name, making the ginger head jump and stutter in response. Moody let Ron raise from his seat, who couldn't seem to look in the mans' eyes.

"There's the Imperius Curse", the red-haired said and even though Ron was stationed next to Harry on the other side of the room, I could hear his answer out of the overtaking silence between the rows.

Moody was satisfied as he walked over to his desk to pick out a spider-like insect of a jar before he embraced its size until it was covering up his whole hand.

"Imperio", the professor said to get the control over his demonstration object.

Moody made it jump off and onto a Gryffindor boys' desk. Neville unfortunately was right in front of the professor, but the insect diverted quickly after on the table of Crabbe and Goyle, two Slytherin classmates I didn't really talk a lot too, because they were a part of the Slytherin group I didn't socialize with.

Goyles' head spun around, his eyes filled with pure horror and Maribel next to me suppressed a laugher. With another flick of his wand, Moody let the spider hovering over Rons' head who was whimpering in his fright of spiders.

"If she bites, she's lethal", the professor snickered. The creature shifted down the gingers' forehead, making the boy tremble.

"What are you laughing at?", Moody bellowed, snapping the spider on Dracos' nose next and causing the blonde boy to stumble in his seat at the table next to us. Blaise tried his hardest to get rid of the insect without touching it but failed miserably.