Chapter 10: Epilogue

When I woke up, everything was white. A blinding white, taking all my field of vision. After a little while, the light faded a little, and I could see what was around me. I felt numb, and dizzy, but... there was also something missing, like if... a thorn ingrained into my head was finally removed. Like the the brambles who had lived wild into my head, piercing through my thoughts and replacing them by dark flowers, had now been removed by a skillful gardener. 

An hospital groom, the distant beeping sound, mesuring my heartbeat, still on my feet, the bandage from my sprained ankle. 

And in the back of my head, a place where some of my hair were missing, and around my head, another bandage.

[*...*]

-The surgery was a success.

Sighs of relief and exclamations of joy were emitted by my other classmates. I lifted my eyebrows, and felt the pinch in my heart finally go away. Someone jumped on my back, wrapping their hands around my neck. Someone else, Kazuichi, put an arm on my shoulder, pulling me, a big grin on his face. Another one pulled my sleeve... Chiaki, smiling brightly. 

And with all that, I smiled.

///

-Alright, so it would be best if he wasn't exposed to loud noises yet, but he can probably receive one or two visitors.

Everyone looked at each other, and Mahiru raised her voice:

-I think that Izuru and Chiaki are the ones closest to him, so... it should be them.

Everyone agreed.

-Alright we'll see you two later.

And they all left, probably returning to the academy. I stood up, and walked along the white hallway, incredibly quiet, Chiaki right behind me. Arriving in front of his door, I stopped, feeling for the first time some sort of irrational fear. Chiaki pulled my sleeve, surprising me. She smiled:

-You should probably go by yourself... I don't mind waiting... I'll let you go alone this time...

I nodded, and she stood to the side, as I slowly opened the door.

He was sitting, looking outside the window, his eyes a little dazed, him probably still under the anaesthetic's effect. I closed back the door behind me, causing him to notice my presence. He turned his head toward me. It took him some time to realise who I was, then his eyes opened a little more:

-Izuru-chan?

I approached and sit next to him on a chair that had been placed there. He looked down at his hands, seeming a little lost:

-I'm... still alive.

-You're cured. You're illness is gone.

He blinked a few times, looking right at me.

-Eh?

-They did a surgery, and succeeded.

Then, a small smile plastered on my face:

-It wasn't impossible after all.

Small tears appeared at the corner of his eyes, but I knew it wasn't because of some sadness or deception. He was happy. He didn't even realise he was crying until tears fell onto the sheets. And as he wiped them, he laughed. Not a nervous one, nor a crazy one, but one clear like crystal. He grabbed my hand, surprising me, and brought it to his chest, holding it with both of his. I smiled back and leaned toward him, putting our foreheads together.

*///*

-Izuru-chan~ You came to see me again!