11

“Crona, I didn’t think you would refuse.”
Chrollo questioned, slightly looking up at Crona since he was a bit shorter.
“I’m sorry, but I can’t really take your offer. I think that I wouldn’t be in any help. You’ve only taken a look at my fighting skills, but not how I would act in these sorts of things.”
Crona said politely, giving him a more reasonable excuse than what they had in mind.

Chrollo puts his hand on his chin giving Crona’s words some thought

“I suppose that is my fault.” He mumbled.

Crona knew that they couldn’t just say that they don’t want to be part of it because they don’t feel like it. They wanted to give the Danchou something more believable, like lack of skills outside of fighting.
“But if you were to have those sorts of skills, would you have considered joining? Not that you really have a choice.”

That’s where Crona gets stumped. They didn’t really think about that.
“I-”
“Sure.” Ragnarok appeared, interrupting Crona from their nervous rambling.
“Ragnarok!”
“I got this since you always end up saying dumb things.”He whispered than went back up to look down at Chrollo.
“But listen, we got some conditions of our own. My partner is still in the middle of redemption, so respect their choices alright? We don’t wanna end up doing things by force meaning we’ll fight by your side if it’s necessary or if it helps us. Sure we’ll say we're with the Phantom Troupe and whatever number spider ya want us to be, but we're here for personal gain like that Hisoka guy over there.” Ragnarok crossed their arms. “And I still don’t like you.” He finished.

“Crona do you agree with his beliefs?” Chrollo looked over to a shaking Crona.
“Uhhh I-I think we discussed this earlier but I forgot to bring it up.” Crona played along.
“I see….Well I don’t see a problem. There will be changes in the future but I’ll let this pass.” Chrollo accepted. 
Crona sighed, keeping in mind that they would have to thank Ragnarok later.

Chrollo patted Crona’s shoulder with a smile. “Welcome to the Team, Demon Sword.” Then walked away to where the others were, probably to tell them about the new addition to the group.

“Ragnarok-”
“No need to thank me. I’m included in this too so I’m the one talking here.”
“Is it true that you don’t mind being with them?”
“Psh as much as I hate them, but this was just to stall time.”
“Stall time?”

“Were not actually staying here forever ya know. You don’t want to make a reputation here yet, right? They aren't like Medusa so I don't care about how they do things around here”
“Are you suggesting we escape? Look as tempting as that is, we made a deal with Chrollo.”
“Yeah, I guess we do have to stay here a while so that he’ll trust us enough to go out. Who knows, maybe someone will come here and save us from this dump.”
“I doubt that.”

Crona walked to where they thought the other members would be, but seemed like almost all of them were gone. The only ones in the room were Pakunoda, Kortopi, Bonolenov, Hisoka, Phinks, and finally Chrollo.

"The others are at the auction." Pakunoda noticed Crona's entry.
They nodded as thank you and walked to their usual window spot, opposite side from the jester.

"If you've given me souls by now, I would've flew us out of here by now." Ragnarok sighed.
"Sorry there aren't anything like that here, well from what I know of. Maybe nen but that's different." The meister replied, looking out the window seeing the night sky and lights from the city.

"Oh geez not this guy again."
"What?"
"Clown"
Crona knew who their partner meant when they mentioned that nickname.
"Look away. I don't want him to know that I acknowledged him. He scares me." Crona didn't bat an eye to the jester on the other side, but they did feel chills. What's up with that guy?

After a few hours, Chrollo gets a call, presumably from the others at the auction.
Crona decided to eavesdrop a bit since that probably would be the most interesting thing that would happen all day.
They overheard how the merchandise was gone and assumed to be stolen by a third party.

"There wouldn't be a traitor, they would have nothing to gain from this." Chrollo replied to Uvogin's prediction. "Kill any members of the mafia to draw them out-"

'A traitor. Geez I feel kind of targeted and they're not even talking about me. There goes my paranoid self again.' Crona thought, feeling gloomy again.

Chrollo ended the phone call after a little while of talking and went back to his book but with a very serious face.

-a bit later (´ . .̫ . ')-

Chrollo stands up from his spot making Crona wake up from their little nap.
"I've been informed that Uvogin has been captured."
"Tough guy Uvo? C'mon he couldn't have let his guard down." Phinks spoke.
"He got distracted by the Shadow Beasts. Feitan is coming back with one of them for interrogation. Phinks, help the others out with getting him back."
"Don't have to tell me twice." Phinks stretched. 
"Once you've done your job, return with everyone else."
"Gotcha."

Feitan came back a little while while dragging an injured man.
Crona's eyes kept following Feitan until he was out of sight. They knew that Feitan was a professional at the art of torture but this is going to be the first time they're going to hear a victim go through such a thing. They didn't like the thought though, it creeped them out.
Hisoka took this opportunity to walk out. "I need somewhere to be. I have someone waiting."
He walked out the building with a smile.
'Does he ever frown?' Crona thought to themselves, then started back to the waiting game.

While they were lost in their thoughts, a tall figure walked over to them.
"Crona."
"Gah!" Crona jumped looking over to see Pakunoda staring at them.
"Sorry to alarm you, but I would like to know-" Pakunoda gently grabbed their shoulder with a smile.
"Are you okay?"
"Uhh um mhm." Crona nodded, confused at the sudden action. Looking at Paku, they notice how her face changed a bit.
"Why do you ask?"
As Paku lifts her arm away, she gives Crona another gentle smile.
"Just curious." With that awkward little conversation ending, she left, going back to her spot.

"Looks like she saw your past." Ragnarok yawned.
"Wha?"
"Don't you remember what Shalnark said?"
Crona took a while to think but remembered instantly. "Gah, that's so embarrassing." They covered their face. "We barely even talk though, why would she even."
"Who knows. Maybe now that you're part of them, they gotta know who you really are."
"But we haven't been assigned a number." Crona uncovered their face. "All the spots are filled so technically I'm not part of them yet."
"You can think however you'd like, but that's not what the boss thinks."

"I can't just replace someone else's number right?"