Conflict

A few days after the sports festival.

"Shota, what do you think?" Principal Nezu addressed the homeroom teacher of Class 1-A.

"She did surprise me when she made her own silk shield."

"You got so excited and even made the perfect commentary," Present Mic teased.

"So . . . are you considering her transfer into Class 1-A?"

"It almost seems like you don't want her in your class, Snipe. With the way you're so eager to send her away. Is she a problem child?" All Might joked.

"No, it's not like that. Not at all. I just think she has more potential and being in a general studies course . . . hardly does her justice."

"Potential, huh?" Aizawa scoffed. "She let herself get disqualified."

"Let?"

"Don't tell me you didn't notice. She could've stayed in the field, but she quailed and let herself get blown out of bounds." Aizawa crossed his arms and leaned back in his chair, tucking his chin in his scarf. "The hero course doesn't need cowards."

The meeting room fell into an uncomfortable silence after Aizawa's harsh words.

"Who else's requests for transfer are we considering?" Principal Nezu was the first one to break the uncomfortable tension in the room.

"Oh, uh . . . just one more. Shinso Hitoshi. He's also in my class."

"Ah, the mind-control kid? He could make a useful hero one day," Vlad piped up.

"Are we transferring people out of the hero course?" Midnight asked.

"Yes. Two people," Snipe answered.

"Then it's decided, isn't it? Aizawa, would you rather have Mizugumo and Shinso in your class, or . . . " Midnight looked over at the papers in front of Snipe. "Ah, Mineta and Hagakure?"

Aizawa's hooded gaze shifted to his coworker. "Mizugumo is cowardly, and her motivation isn't to be a hero at all. I fail to see how she would prevail when thrust into difficult situations. Shinso holds himself back despite his useful quirk. He'll need to get over himself if he wishes to become a hero."

"Yes, but you have to take into account their special situations-"

"Villains won't go easy on them just because they grew up somewhat less fortunate than others."

The conference room once again sank into silence, the faculty silently agreeing with Aizawa's words. All of them bowed their heads as they contemplated his reasoning, all except for Principal Nezu, who took a leisurely sip of his tea.

"However." Aizawa sat up in his chair and took the papers from Snipe. "I can give them the opportunity to prove themselves. If they don't meet my expectations, then I can easily arrange for their transfer back into the general studies course."

Principal Nezu set his teacup down with a small clink. "Then it's settled. Mizugumo Kana and Shinso Hitoshi will be studying in the hero course starting Monday. Meeting adjourned."

***

"Huh? Are Mineta and Hagakure absent today?"

"That would seem to be the case, Kirishima. Everybody, quiet. It is time for homeroom."

Shinso and I shared a nervous glance as voices carried out from inside Class 1-A.

"This is really happening."

"Do you feel like crying?"

Shinso snorted at my teasing question. "As if. I can't wait to beat that conceited Bakugo."