ten • splendid?

••• "Hold my hand, and we're halfway there

•••
"Hold my hand, and we're halfway there."
•••

Grosvenor Square, 1813

Preparations for the union of Anthony Bridgerton and Nola Addington are well underway. Viscountess Bridgerton planning a wedding merely one week away.
•••

"You mean to tell me you had promised Daphne's hand to Nigel Berbrooke?" Nola's eyes widened, acting as if bile was rising up through her pipes. "That man is truly... truly disgusting." She finished, looking at Anthony though narrowed eyes. "Daphne is the diamond of the season, my lord. She deserves the best. I can only imagine what I would have done if my dear cousin had done that to me."

A smile grew on Anthony's face, watching as his dear fiancé looked through his array of books, ordered on his shelf. "Well, then isn't it most fortunate you're stuck with me, then?" He questioned, her beautiful brown eyes meeting his. He stood from his fathers desk chair, pushing it back slightly as he met her near the wall. "Find anything you like?" He reached for her shoulder, pushing strands of hair back.

"Certainly! This book on the Spanish language. You know, Anthony. I've always wanted to learn Spanish. My father was born there, and while it was beautiful language, my Uncle forbid it from being taught in my house. What a crude man," her tone saddened, recalling Simon's terrible upbringing, reminding her why her and her sister were so close to him in the beginning. "My lord... our children..."
Anthony's eyes narrowed, nervous on what was to be asked. "My father was a very... free-willed man, compared to the late Duke. I can only beg that our children will never experience what my cousin had."

Anthony quickly nodded his head, "I know of Hastings childhood, Nola. I would never treat another person how he was treated, let alone our child," he grabbed her hands, "especially, not our child." She released a sigh of relief, wrapping her arms around the Viscount. His hand holding her head against him.

"It was terrible, Anthony. Truly. Simon never knew any better. He was never given a chance." She sounded as if she were about to sob. "How could someone treat their own son that way?"

"Shh, shh. It's alright, my dear." Anthony coo'ed, running his other hand up and down her back, attempting to soothe her. With the sound of a sudden knock on the door to the Viscount's office, Anthony pressed his lips to the girls forehead, returning to his chair and shouting, "come in!"

Behind the door stood Oliver, holding his own stack of papers. "Bridgerton." He nodded, finally spotting his sister in law. "Nola." A smile rest on his lips. "Is now an appropriate time to discuss financials, Bridgerton?" Nola took that as her cue to find Sloan, not truly invested, nor interested in what the men were to talk about.